NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
We've only got 4 Minutes!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I called a retired VW mechanic who used work for the dealership. I asked him if he could Change my fuel filter and he pretty much said I don't replace it unless my fuel tank or something needs to be replaced because its inside. Is this true? I thought I could just get my fuel filter changed solo.

The reason why I want to change it is because I don't think it's ever been changed and my car doesn't have much acceleration/ power. Also, everytime when my tank is close to E, while driving I will lose acceleration driving at a steady speed and then the speed will catch up back to normal.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Since you have a 2005 it should noe be in the tank. Look under the car by the passenger rear tire and you should see the silver filter There are 2 different ones, One has 3 connections, the other has 2. Search for a changing beetle fuel filter thread on how to change it out.

The 2.5 engine filters are in the tank.

·
Registered
762 Posts
While VW and Audi pretty much say all gas/petrol fuel filters are "lifetime", 80K miles (130K KM) is what I've suggested to people.

However, the problem you describe, could be a issue with the fuel pump.... but not enough data here to really be 100% sure.

·
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone... Pencil neck, a guy at vw service said the same thing it could my fuel pump. To run a test it's $130. Do you think the longer I wait, if there is an actual issue with the fuel pump... Could it do more harm to anything? What other data do you need to know if its my fuel pump?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Forget running a test for $130, you can purchase a pump and filter for this price.

They are pretty easy to replace.

You have to understand that the fuel filters are very fine in these cars and they fuel constantly circulates through the filter the entire times the engine is running.

BMW recommends 60k fuel filter replacement, but after all the crap we find in filters at least here on the east coast, I would not run a filter more than 30-40k miles. The filter on my 2003 was like $10 as I recall, 2 hoses, 1 hose clamp and about 10 minutes to change.

Does your car have a CEL or any trouble codes at this point?

·
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey you! No there are no codes on my speedometer... I'm just describing the symptoms and people are telling me it could be my fuel pump. Are there suggestions VW says when fuel pumps should be replaced? How long can they last? And what could be some reasons why a fuel pump would go bad? Thanks!

·
Registered
875 Posts
The filter on my '05 2.0 is $40 at the dealer, it has the fuel pressure regulator built in. My beetle just rolled 100,000, i did the filter around 50,000. Right now, it is a little slow to start, so I am replacing the filter this weekend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts