VW Beetle Forum banner

When to flush fluids?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  simonsi 
#1 ·
I took my 01 NB to have same repairs done at a independent foreign car repair place. The cluster was rebuilt by BBA-remain thanks to this site for the recommending. They are wanting to flush the Brake Fluid and do all this other work; a serpentine belt; new spark plugs; fuel induction service and some center exhaust clamp. I don't think I need this for my car only has 60k. Any thought on when to flush fluids?

I'm thinking let them change the belt then that's it.

Thanks
Shar

#3 ·
The coolant is done when you do the timing belt/water pump service usually, since you need to drain the coolant for the pump. Which is due on your car if it hasn't been done already. More on years than miles. You have 9 years on the belt and pump. The pump usually fails 60-80k. So I'd think about getting that done soon.

I'd say more like 5k on the oil. It is recommended for 2 years on brake fluid. Not gonna lie though...I hadn't changed it in 5 years until I got my brakes done this year.

#4 ·
I've never "flushed" brake fluid in any car, nor have I ever heard of having to do so unless there's a problem. Unless the systems been opened up to moisture, it should not be needed because it's completely sealed normally. If the dealer does it it'll a be costly waste of money IMO. Coolant also will last a long long time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.