NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, great forum ! My first post as NB newby. Recently aquired a 98 glx ? This is my first VW have been a ford guy for many years but needed somthing with better MPG for commuting. I have several questions. 1st my lower bumper valance or grille has openings for fogs but seem to be missing. No trace of stowed wires and light switch doesnt pull out wich leaves me to believe car never had fogs. Is this a dealer option ? On my F-150 XLT I added fogs. The harness and relays were already installed. I simply bought new switch popped it in and connected lights to stowed wires under bumper. Cool huh.
Is the beetle wired at factory for fogs or will I have to add relays and harness my self. Where do I get fogs. Have been reading about the blue and black badges My beetle has blue badges I dont think the guy I bought car from swapped them. Did the early 98 models come with blue badges. Sorry for the long winded post. Thanks

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
Does your headlight switch pull out when you have it on (to turn the fogs on), if not, then you probably have a gl or gls w/o fogs. and the previous owner probably hit somewthing to break the lower valence, and hte only one that person could find is a fog-light one.

I dont know for sure if is an easy wiring job to add fog lights, but i know that factory ones are pricey ($150 each) and on the pre-01's you need to take the whole front bumper cover off to get to the top mounts of the fog lights.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
If you're wanting to do the upgrade I've got a swith I'll swap you for (I don't know if I have my GL one still or not). I have a GLS front-only fog light switch in my 02... i keep saying one day i'll add fogs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your offer, but I think I shall buy an euro switch off the Bay. Now I need to find out what else I will need to install fogs. Advise welcome.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts