NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day while loading up the family for a drive my 2.5 year old son asked me why the floor was wet. I felt the passenger side rear floor and it was wet. It had been raining pretty heavily for a few days while my wife was driving the car. Any ideas where the water my have leaked in from? I'm thinking the seal around the door, but everything looks fine. It is an '02 model.

thanks
rob

·
Twizzler
447 Posts
Whenever this has been mentioned it has turned out most often to be clogged sunroof drainage lines of which there are four. Do you notice any wetness or staining along the front pillars from the roof downward?? Do you have a sunroof? If so check if the lines are clogged, two are accessible from the rear hatch area of the car; open the rear hatch and look up around the accordian type wire cover and find a rubber circle and open it, you will see inside a pointy piece of plastic thats the end point of the drainage lines that drain out toward the rear. The front are difficult to reach someone else will have to fill in the info here. You need to blow pressurized air through the lines to force any blockages out. The water could be coming from another source but most often this has been the reason. Hope this info helps.

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
you could also run some weed wacker line up thru the drain line to roto-rooter them out. guy tied a knot in the end of the line to make a little "head" on it like the pipe scrapers a plumber uses.

witnessed this in person this past weekend on a Jetta. should work the same on a NB.

good luck

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Sun roof drains...

I experienced a very simular condition... What was found is that the rear 2 drains for the sun roof were not sticking out from the car body enough and some water was draining inside the roof liner tword the back and running down each side to the under seat area and finaly to the floor. These drains are located at the very top and at each side of the rear hatch opening. Just open hatch and you will see. Sometimes these drains in the rear have a plastic cover that is supposed to channel the water down and out. These should be removed and the black rubber drains with an oblong opening should be checked for proper clearance from the body. Another solution if the drains are clear from the body, is to use a compressed air gun with a small tip at a fairley low pressure to reverse blow the drains to release the blockage. Just place into the outside drain opening and blow...All of these checks were done to my car by myself and the VW tech. and since all was done, no more leaks... JK

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
just posted elsewhere my 2 inside pools...check it

·
Ciarog
117 Posts
I'm guessing windshield cowl drains. A. clooged sunroof issues would wet more than one specific spot B. air vents for floor heat run only under passenger seat, allowing cowl "overflow" a way through. I'm dealing with this right now myself.

·
Ciarog
117 Posts
turbos03 said:
Look under the car in the area of the passenger side rear floor... There you should see a rubber "floor pan plug"... If it's missing that's where the water may have come from, I just had to replace one today; discovered it was missing while changing the oil... $.38 part from the dealership...
a missing plug would only dampen the carpet (unless you're parking in floorboard high water).

·
Ciarog
117 Posts
turbos03 said:
I don't recall him saying just how wet the carpet was... Just trying to give dude another place to check…
we can infer that it was wet enough to be noticeable... something far wetter than a missing plug would allow for given the odds of splashed road water repetedly striking the exact spot of the missing plug.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts