VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and searched online to find a picture where this sensor is located. Everything I've seen shows an air box with a 3" pipe coming off into another section which supposedly contains the maf. My 2012 Beetle does not have this and It almost seems that it doesn't have a mas air flow sensor, but the check engine light is on and it's throwing a code for a faulty mass air flow sensor. Where oh where is it?

·
Registered
15,948 Posts
Please post up any codes; you are getting. Unfortunately, there aren't any manuals out there for us to reference to; the only manuals, that I am aware of available are online through VW's subscription service ERWIN.

https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/showHome.do;jsessionid=2A737E7D144D29BFD546C48CB824E064.ASTPERWUS01

I was wondering; is your car still under warranty from VW? If it is; I would take it to the dealer and have them service it. Maybe other members; who have a 2.5L 2012+ Beetle, can take a pic of the location and post it for you.

Most cars, have the maf after the airbox; so, just find the airbox and follow the air path to the engine intake, you will find it along the way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply but unfortunately the car is no longer under warranty. It was purchased used from a private seller. And yes, all of the research I've done online says the MAF is located in a section of tubing coming out of he air box. However there does not appear to be any air box in this car. I'm going to include a picture of the engine compartment.

Attachments

·
5/23/10 <3
11,453 Posts
Googling around, it seems that '09+ 2.5L engines use a MAP instead of the MAF.

What is the code number you're getting?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for digging around. That makes sense to me. My stepdaughter's boyfriend used a scanner he had so I don't know what the actual code was, he just told me it was the MAF. However, not being able to find it, I took the car to autozone to have them run the CEL test and the code they got was P2433. The definition I got for that code was: The PCM detected an unexpected high voltage on the secondary air injection system pressure sensor circuit.

·
Registered
15,948 Posts
Based upon the code you are providing; that is part of the secondary air injection system, which is not part of the maf/map system. The SAI system; is for emissions and kicks on, when the car starts up and is cold.

P2433 - Secondary Air Injection System Air Flow/Pressure Sensor Circuit High Bank 1

Read more: P2433 Secondary Air Injection System Air Flow/Pressure Sensor Circuit High Bank 1 | AutoCodes

The code; seems to indicate that possibly something is wrong with a valve, maybe the combi valve that regulates air flow or the solenoid, that regulates the combi valve.

One mechanics help site; seems to indicate, there is a problem with moisture that gets to a air valve and there is a repair extension warranty about it. This is for a 2009 era Jetta; so, it may not apply to you.

Volkswagen 2009: 2009 VW Jetta 2.5 DTC P2431, P2433 secondary

As always; it is worth it to stop into your VW dealer and see if there is a recall on this problem or they may repair the problem, on a case by case basis (aka: silent recall) or as a customer satisfaction repair. With a newer vehicle; it is always good to check for warranty issues and recalls, that have not been done. You could also; call or chat with VW Customer CARE. You really shouldn't be having problems like this; so early in the car's life and I would try, to get VW to handle it and pay for the repairs. You have nothing to lose; all they can say is "no" and you haven't lost anything in the process. It is always good; to connect with a local VW dealer and make sure, everything is current with your vehicle and check everything out.

Volkswagen Customer CARE

1-800-822-8987
8 a.m. to 10 p.m. EST
Monday – Friday
9 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST
Saturday

email or chat as well:

Contact Us

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.