NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to connect 3 power leads for a device:
1) To battery +12V constant
2) To accessory +12v (on when ignition on)
3) To Ground

Knowing the wire colors is easy enough - but where is a good place to connect wires to the sources without having to install taps, and preferably NOT on the radio harness (as getting that mess of wires in and out is a PAIN and I just got it all back in there some time ago.

Ideally at/near the fuse panel by the steering wheel.

Its a 2.0l 2002 New Beetle, if that matters.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm sorry I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but it isn't too difficult to test out a few items in the fuse box. Sunroof comes to mind though. If you're trying to avoid taps, you can sometimes pick these lil babies up at most auto parts stores.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks. Yeah, I saw those on Amazon - seems a thousand names selling the same product. The issue I have with them is they offset and thus cover other fuses; I'd like something more low profile (can the lid /door even be put back with those in place)?

I did find some nice taps that will sit parallel to existing fuses, so lower profile and a place to attache the wires.

For where to tap power on my 2002 manual gearbox - there are a few blank slots that seem likely candidates for (when ignition is on) such as the Daytime Running Lights (which I have but doesn't use that fuse, so this must be for lamps separate from the headlights) - and maybe also for the (+12 batt constant power, the 7.5A position 12 to the right of the Telephone blank). Using the blanks, I'd insert a new fuse of some reasonable amount for the equipment I'm adding (5A) and tap off of the side that exits the fuse - since there isn't any gear installed in the car to be using that stuff. For the 7.5A BAT tap (if thats the spot I use, or the one for the cig lighter (Pos 41, 15A) not sure if Id want to up the rating on those existing fuses.

Where to bolt on the ground wire is still open - where is that well known ground attachment point?

I guess I need to find GND44 at the bottom of the A pillar, or GND42 left of the pedal cluster - whichever I can reach and feed the wire to.

Update: Found the taps I need.

ACC: The Daytime Running Lights slot (blank on my 2002 where the DRL are just the headlights) - that comes on with ignition - so the side under the word "Daytime" comes on, so I'll tap the side under "Running" when I plug in the fuse.

BAT: The 12v CIG Lighter fuse (the 20A fuse, 4th from the bottom on the right most column) seems the safe bet, as thats where this stuff plugs into anyway (the cig lighter). So There I'll pull off the side after fuse as well.

GND: The ground tap I'm using GND44, that is the bottom of the A-Pillar, that is right below the fuse panel. Now getting to it especially on an older car like my 2002 (now 16 yrs old) with the shop manuals is a bitch. The GND44 is behind the a-pillar trim next to the dead pedal, so getting that trim off requires removal of the hood release latch. That requires just a flat-head short screwdriver + knowing how the handle catch works. You pull the hood release handle slightly forward to get the short stubby flat screwdriver blade in just inside the handle face, the slowly lever out the catch by levering the screwdriver handle toward the back of the car:

There is a good youtube video on how it works available: https://youtu.be/etnqU0G2huk

Now that you have the handle away, a plastic plug holds the trim on. This plug is the type that spreads out behind the trim because it has a plastic push pin pushed through a hole in its center. The theory, you lever/pull out the plastic pin (4) and can then pull out the plastic plug, thus releasing the trim panel. The reality on a 16 year old New Beetle- the head of the plastic pin just pops off of the shaft and you EFFED.. there is no way to get that pin/plug out without cutting it out with some pliers. Then buying a replacement plug/pin from the dealer to put it back. I so hate these plastic/secret fasteners - just use a damn screw VW.

There is a nut that you loosen with a ratchet to insert your spade connector behind the nut (and behind the 0-ring connection of any existing VW BROWN ground wires to keep them from rotating when you tighten the nut again)

Update: its installed and working:
Just so its clear how things got hooked up with the parts, I wanted to show how the ACC and BAT taps were installed (the GND tap was in separate image):

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
Nice write up, thanks for posting! I've had the dead pedal trim off and that hood release is a bear, nice work!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts