NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. on a 2001 GLX 1.8T? i know it comes up at 90mph, what if i'm at 60 and press the part of the rocker button that sticks up? the light on the dask comes on steady (does that mean it's up and OK?), then i press the other side of the rocker button and nothing happens. any help on how this thing works (without the tailwagger) is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
I think the light comes on if you are having a problem. The light on mine comes on if it gets stuck(passing a semi at 90) . It stays up until I turn off my car and then start it again(not to be done while driving;) ).Press the switch on the top side flap goes up ,press the switch on the bottom side and it goes down. If it's already in the down position nothing would happen. Guys correct me if I'm wrong.

·
2008 "Fowvay" yellow NB
574 Posts
Mine automatically goes up at 94 mph or thereabouts. I can push the switch and put it up manually whenever I want. I don't get a spoiler light then. If I push the button for it to go down it will not go down while still driving. You must slow to under 15 mph or so and then re-accelerate to "cycle" the spoiler. This is when my light comes on and blinks until it closes. It will stay up unless you do that, there is no way to manually drop the spoiler after deployed while driving at speed. If you are just stopped, idling, you can pop it open and close it with the switch but not when driving.

This is my understanding of how mine works.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mine is supposed tp deploy at 90 mph on its own to. you're saying if i push at 60, stay at 60, and light comes on steady, somethings wrong?

·
MST3K
28 Posts
hey I was wondering that myself if the light is suppose to stay on if you put it on manualy. I know that after I slow down to a stop and then go again it will go off until I think that I want it up again. but I not really sure. I'll have to look it up or something. I have heard people have moved the button that is under the dash and put it by the dimming lights so they can turn it on when ever but I not sure about the light thing. I'll have to look into it. I'll let you know if it suppose to.

Tom Servo

·
2008 "Fowvay" yellow NB
574 Posts
I don't think the light is supposed to stay on. I know that mine doesn't. Perhaps you have some corrosion in the mechanism and it is not going all the way up as it is supposed to, so the light is staying on. Any way you can look it over? Check it out while parked. Cycle it a few times and see what it is doing. Perhaps you can get someone to drive alongside and look it over while operating at speed. (Got a cell phone for that?)

I relocated my switch to just next to the dimmer switch.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thx. seems fine while parked. read the owners manual (theres a whole separate sheet on the spoiler), explains how it works bu says nothing about what the light means.

·
Super Moderator
5,363 Posts
I think my light comes on if I push the button. I can't remember. I never push the button since it comes up at 45 or what ever.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
The light will come on and be steady ONLY if there is a problem. It is not a reminder to let you know that the spoiler is deployed.

If the spoiler is deployed and you go below 10mph, the light will come on and blink. This IS to let you know that it's up (I guess in case, at that slow of a speed, someone sticks there hand near it and you crush there fingers by retracting it).

You should be able to deploy the spoiler and retract it at any speed with the button. You can do this even while in motion. The only time mine won't let me retract the spoiler manually, is if the light comes on (steady) to let me know of a problem. In that case, I usually have to wait till I slow down. Once I'm below 10mph, it will allow me (I think once, I had to actually shut the car off and restart).

·
MST3K
28 Posts
Hey, pdoel how did you find this out? because I've played with mine when I was stopped, and just playing with the spoiler and when i put it up the light came one and stayed on, so if the light comes on then there's something wrong with the mechanism then? when I put the spoiler down it went off. I was just curious. Also I have another question, some body told me that there's really no point to even have a spoiler on there. and you don't need like if your going 65mph. Mine is still at 90 something I think before it comes up unless i do it manually. Is there a point to having a spoiler and what speed your using it at? I was going to change the speed on the spoiler to come up at 65mph, without the switch but where i can still use the switch if i want it anytime. I'm just getting confused having to many people saying one thing to me and then telling me another thing.:confused: So what should I do? If you have some ideas let me know. I figured if VW put it on there for a reason then you should use it. I don't think VW put it on the car to make it look unique and different other beetles. I know that how I tell from the turbo's to the GL and GLS. Every time I see a bug I try to I dentify it and see if I can guess the year. some I can guess easily, others I have a hard time.

Tom Servo

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
There have been many posts on the spoiler subject, as well as some explanation in the owner's manual. So that's where I've received my info.

As far as is it needed, and when? According to VW, the New Beetle experienced some lift above 93mph (or so), so the spoiler is to keep the rear end down on the ground. So yes, I believe it is needed.

They changed the speed of deployment from 93 to 45ish in 2002, because people were upset they never got to have their spoilers deploy.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Here's the breakdown from my point of view Tom Servo.

If the light comes on steady, there was a problem encountered. Either too much resistance (elephant on the spoiler?) or something. Just something not expected by the pre-programmed computer. Probably just needs to be lubricated. Especially if it works fine at a stand-still.

The spoiler does not create downforce.

When you THINK aerodynamics, most of the time, a wing on the rear is to provide downforce while at speed. (70mph and up) This helps keep the wheels on the ground.

But that really only applies to those giant spoilers on race cars.
On our cars inparticular, it's a spoiler; that spoils the aerodynamics of the vehicle.

The way the bug's shaped, there is a low pressure area right above it, especially right above the rear glass. This low pressure area actually creates lift. (like an airplane wing) It's nothing noticable at normal speeds, but as you speed up, your traction becomes an important factor especially when turning. The spoiler breaks up the air-flow. This slows down the air velocity over the car, and decreases the amount of lift.

Me, I think it starts making a difference around 65mph. But I don't have any #'s to prove it. It's just someone else's opinion I guess.

Here's the old article I read that influenced my thoughts on the subject: http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_1044/article.html from July 2001

·
beetle driver for life
1,151 Posts
I own a 2000 1.8T and my spoiler would activate at 45mph then close at around 65mph (I dont remember for sure what speed it would close at) and then lift again at 90mph. I disconnected one of the wires activating the spoiler at the slower (45mph) speed so now my spoiler only lifts at 90mph. When it does lift at 90 my light comes on steady and stays on until I turn off the ignition and open the drivers door. If I then restart the car the spoiler light flashes. While the light is on steady (after hitting 90mph) I cannot manually lower my spoiler with the underdash control. Only after I have turned off the ignition and opened the drivers door(hence I now have a flashing light) can I manually lower the spoiler. If I raise the spoiler at any speed manually, including idle my spolier light flashes and I can manually lower the spoiler. I think the only test I have not done is manually raise the wing at lower speed and then gone up to 90mph to see if I go from a flashing light to a steady light. So as far as I can tell you I would say that a steady on light means you may not manually lower the spoiler, and a flashing light means you may manually lower the spoiler. And Nor is dead-on about the function of the spioler for an example of this take a marble or ball bearing and put it in the airflow from a compressor it will float about 2 inches above the nozzle. The half sphere shape of our car makes it want to lift at speed.

·
SgtBeetle
63 Posts
Has anyone seen an article about the rear spoiler being deployed on cars with an installed wing causing the vehicle to spin? I am thinking that I should disconnect the wagger, since I have the wing. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I think it's complete hogwash and think that's a whole different topic for a different thread. ;) [but imo, it's complete hogwash and wouldn't happen; would love for you to pm me the article, but don't want to discuss it in this thread]

No offense, it's just a whole nother discussion about something completely unrelated to the stock functioning and indicator lights of the automatic spoiler.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thx folks. splurged and ordered a tailwagger. cant wait. since it works fine at a stand still, i guess i'll lube it with some silicone.

·
2008 "Fowvay" yellow NB
574 Posts
With so much different information I'm thinking that there are differences in the cars by model years. I know that the deployment speed is different for some model years. I'm thinking that the indicator light and operation may even be different. I know that mine will not close regardless of whether it has been deployed automatically or by the switch until I slow down and reaccelerate. I also know that my light doesn't stay on when the spoiler is up. (It never has.) I can raise and lower it at will when stopped/idling.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts