VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello-
I am interested in buying a 2013 or newer model, but I know nothing about cars. I’ve researched, but would sincerely appreciate educated or personal input. I cannot decide which will potentially be less problematic. Reliability is more important than performance. It needs to be an automatic. I drive mostly on the highway. 70rt for work about 3 days a week.
I’ve always thought turbo engines were riddled with issues and expensive to replace…am I wrong?
Thank you so much for the help! ❤

·
Zoomer
2004 Vw New Beetle Convertible Platinum Grey 2.slow
32 Posts
I used to have a 2014 convertible with the 2.5 liter inline 5 cylinder, had been reliable for me for about 40k and has plenty of power.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Vw has some decent engines, they did have some problem at about the 09-12 years with a timing chain tensioner, I don’t remember which years. However if you have a choice between a manual or automatic as vw still has both take the manual they are pretty much bullet proof whereas their automatic transmissions are not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vw has some decent engines, they did have some problem at about the 09-12 years with a timing chain tensioner, I don’t remember which years. However if you have a choice between a manual or automatic as vw still has both take the manual they are pretty much bullet proof whereas their automatic transmissions are not.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I cannot drive a manual. Too stressful for me. 😬

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2.0 forget the 2.5 it’s rough and honestly a terrible engine
Thank you! I had a 2010 Jetta with a 2.5 that was totaled with 160k miles and I thought it was fine, but then again I’m not super into cars so wth do I know? 😁

·
Registered
67 Posts
2.0 forget the 2.5 it’s rough and honestly a terrible engine
I've driven a few, Jetta, Beetle I never thought it was bad. I like the 2.0Turbo, not sure I would call it more reliable than the 2.5. The 2.0 non turbo is an insult to VW's customers.

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
Three little letters. T D I.

Reactions: JenV and Thejarhead

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have had 3 of the 1998 to 2011 beetles with the 2.0 liter engine and had no problem, all were stick shifts. I have a 2013, 2.5 liter engine and 5 spd manual, that had to have the oil pan replaced at 38000 miles due to the teflon coating peeling off and clogging the oil pickup tube, which VW didnt cover as I was 2000 miles out of warranty. I also have a 2017 Beetle convertible with the 1.8 liter engine and automatic transmission, which gives me pause due to all the conversations on the site about automatic transmission problems associated with VW.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
🥴 I feel for you! That’s frustrating. If I drove a stick I’d have more problems to worry about (like how to stay alive) than an oil tube.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have a 2015 1.8t gen3 auto. I live in Houston Texas and I enjoy it. It's not the 2.0t or a manual. I'd rather have the stick, but traffic on the HW and the stop and go around town. If I need to pull out into a lane from a store. It has plenty to do it. I like the ride quality. I've had 4 back surgery's and I do good in it. Now I don't do good in anything after a hour or so. I didn't know anything about a turbo. But to be honest with you. There's more maintenance than you think. The plugs have to be changed around 50k. It's just qorky🥰 but I would research and see what fits you. I love her. O. Fyi the 1.8t auto will top at 117 mph. But after about 95, it takes a minute to get there. No pull. But it's not a sports car. The gen3 is a great engine imo. But it's hard to find out long term issues. Check for recalls. Mine had 3. Fixed. I've had her for almost 3 years now. It had about 35k on it. Has around 67k now. The only thing that I've had to do is regular maintenance. I drove the piss out of it for about 3 months. No issues.

·
Registered
264 Posts
There is turbo lag. From a stop go go go... It goes but you really feel the turbo right at the end of 1st. Begin to come in. To me anyway it does.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for such an honest and thoughtful reply. I believe you about there being more maintenance than what you expected with the turbo. I don’t think that’s an expense I want to worry about.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts