VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all:

I have a 2001 2.0L gas (AVH) engine. In order to save like $400, I am going to attempt to replace the water pump, timing belt, accessory belt, and thermostat on my car. I've done a timing belt on a 1996 GTI, but I'm not a talented mechanic.

I cannot figure out which engine mount bolts I need to buy.

The parts numbers for the bolts are listed in this document:
VWVortex.com - DIY: Timing Belt And Coolant Pump Replacement on 2.0 AEG! Pics Inside!

But I cannot find the bolt listed as N10209606.

I typically buy my parts from German Auto Parts. Here are the bolts they have in stock:
GermanAutoParts.com : Volkswagen New Beetle Engine

I know I need (2) of the 10x55 bolts. Do I also need (2) of the 12x65?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
By the way, did you see that there is a link to a .pdf with all the pictures for the DIY in message #268 of the VWVortex thread? That is a good set of instructions. They are the ones I relied on most heavily when I did my timing belt.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
There are also a number of places you can get a full kit. ECStuning and blauparts I know have them.

·
Registered
758 Posts
There are also a number of places you can get a full kit. ECStuning and blauparts I know have them.
I went this route. The kit I bought even included the G12. The only thing the kit didn't include was the timing belt tensioner tool, which I ordered separately.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By the way, did you see that there is a link to a .pdf with all the pictures for the DIY in message #268 of the VWVortex thread? That is a good set of instructions. They are the ones I relied on most heavily when I did my timing belt.
Yes, yes! I was so bummed that the links were dead, but luckily a couple folks near the end of the thread mention that the PDF existed.

I got so spoiled when I had my Kawasaki Ninja 250 motorcycle. There was these beautifully simple text documents with awesome pictures for EVERY procedure you could do on the bike. I wish a database existed like that for every vehicle, but not many vehicles have remained largely unchanged for like 25 years (like the ninja)!

Thanks for the response. Any tips for the timing belt? You do the accessory belt and water pump too? Thermostat?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went this route. The kit I bought even included the G12. The only thing the kit didn't include was the timing belt tensioner tool, which I ordered separately.
Gotta check out blauparts. For some reason, I haven't been able to access ECSTuning for a while. These kits came with bolts? The one on german auto parts didn't have bolts or coolant. I have a thermostat and 2 bottles of coolant already, since the thermostat was work that I have been meaning to get to for a while.

Thanks again.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
I know ECS has different levels of kits that come with different things. But yes, they have kits with bolts and coolant. I imagine blauparts does as well. I think idparts also has kits.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know ECS has different levels of kits that come with different things. But yes, they have kits with bolts and coolant. I imagine blauparts does as well. I think idparts also has kits.
Is the ECS tuning website working for you? I can't tell if it is a firewall issue at work or whether the site is down for everyone.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
No issues for me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No issues for me.
Weird. No issues for me at home, either. I still think I'm gonna go with the blauparts kit, though. I have coolant already and they sell a kit with "everything but coolant" (bolts, etc), but ECS doesn't.

Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts