·
slow car fast
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a broken bulb on pass. side fog

I found: TYC Your Parts Search Returned 2 Part(s) $66.00

I found OEM at 1stvw for about $90

Found one for $81.

I want glass lenses for optical quality. I'm going to get the wire rock guards to prevent breakage. Also going with Narva Power Ranger +50 bulbs.

Can anyone recommend which product to buy. Some pricey things are worth the money. . . and some are just a ripoff.

any advice appreciated.

WardB

·
Registered
950 Posts
It depends on your model year of Bug which fog light assembly you need as they change the way it attaches after 2000 I believe.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I've got a broken bulb on pass. side fog

I found: TYC Your Parts Search Returned 2 Part(s) $66.00

I found OEM at 1stvw for about $90

Found one for $81.

I want glass lenses for optical quality. I'm going to get the wire rock guards to prevent breakage. Also going with Narva Power Ranger +50 bulbs.

Can anyone recommend which product to buy. Some pricey things are worth the money. . . and some are just a ripoff.

any advice appreciated.

WardB
You haven't put your vehicle year, model, engine, etc up in the right corner of your post via the User CP link to the left in the lower purple bar above, but your AutoHaus search is based on a 2000 TDI, so should we assume you've looked up the right part?

You say you have a broken bulb, do you mean lens? I can't imagine why else you would be replacing the fog assembly. You're asking which one? The one you found IS the correct OEM for the pre '06 models from all appearances.

As to glass v. plastic lens, I see nothing in that part description that indicates... It is what is it, and I'm guessing plastic. We all wish lenses on everthing were still glass.

As to the bulb, for pre '06, the fogs use H1 bulbs, the same as the ones in your headlights. Probably the best out there is the Euro Oshrams. There are two to chose from, the Silverstar is Xenon filled, even though it is not a HID bulb.

Oshram Silverstars H1 (Xenon)
OSRAM Silverstar H1 (Twin Pack) | PowerBulbs

Oshram Night Breaker Plus H1
OSRAM Night Breaker Plus H1 (Twin Pack) | PowerBulbs

You can read kudos about these bulbs.
Go here -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/parts-accessories/52075-oshram-v-oshram-sylvania-bulbs.html?highlight=oshram
Or here-
VWVortex.com - Best headlight replacement

As your concerned about brightness and optical clarity, it would seem you are wanting these for their intended purpose, fog. Done right, the proper color is yellow, ECS sells the film (which also is a good protection shield) or they can be coated with a paint to produce the correct yellow. You can read more about this here on my friend Daniel Stern's website =

What is Selective Yellow Light
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/light_color/light_color.html

Of course to also function properly and offer the most visibility in fog and inclement weather, you'll need a Euro switch to be able to kill the headlights and just be running in the fog, with the fogs. Numerous threads around the Org addressing that.

MORAV

·
slow car fast
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the responses. I listed my vehicle 2000 GLS TDI. I need the whole assembly (lamp). One lens is broken. They have amber lexan covers so both are technically functional. While yellow is certainly the correct color, the lexan dims the beam so they do NO good.

Yes, I've had Daniel Stearns book marked for a while. He sells Narva Rangepower +50 for H1 applications. I'm going with those for fogs and low beams.

I'm not going E code. I did put Hella E codes on a '78 Rabbit. . . worth every penny. I had a '98 Beetle and don't remember inadequate lighting. I lived in rural SE Utah and it's a very large area with very few street lights. That Beetle did not have fogs.

So, are the lamps from autohausaz adequate. They're $20/30 cheaper than OEM from 1stvwparts. I thought someone here would have made the fog lamp purchase.

I'll post some pics when possible

Thanks for the great info.

Ward
PS Are these large enough to do any good regardless of bulb color and type???

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The Autohaus parts are indicated as OEM (VW p/n given). I believe they are a certified VW Reseller, so I would believe what they advertise is legit OEM parts as opposed to many non certified Resellers who peddle China Crap for OEM, with even the stamped badging and VW labels, p/n's etc. I have never seen factory amber lenses, perhaps they were filmed or otherwise colorized. Not sure what you mean by e-codes? I have a set of factory "e-codes", that doesn't mean they are HIDs if that's what you have been led to believe. Mine are halogen upper and lower beam, have city lights, and are power aided range adjustable with a factory dash rheostat. To clarify, not factory, as came in the car, but factory as in true OEM Euro (e-code).

As a side note, I put a lot of stock in what Daniel writes, I know him outside of his business, he is a paid consultant to the automobile lighting industry.

M.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts