NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Go Blue!
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are getting an oil change very soon and I want to purchase the oil in advance and bring it with me. I've heard stories of garages not putting the correct oil in for a TDI, and that I should ask to have the old oil placed into the empty jugs from the oil I brought with me in an effort to ensure that my oil was used *sigh*. This is the first time I have ever been stressed about having the oil changed in a car lol.

I was going to purchase Pentosin SAE 5W-40 (Pento High, Performance 11, Synthetic, VW-Specification 502 00/ 505 00/ 505 01).

I'm just curious as to what other TDI drivers are putting in their engines. I have been on the TDIClub forum and it is just way too much information overload for me at this time, my head is spinning trying to decipher what is what :confused:

The Pentosin oil I'm looking at does have the correct VW specification according to my user manual and says 'Made in Germany' right on the jug.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer to me :)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Since you have an '04, you have a PD engine, which is definitely important to run the right oil, as the PD motors tend to have cam wear problems. 5w-40 seems to be preferred. TDIClub I believe recommends Mobil 1 TDT (Turbo Diesel Truck) and Rotella T6. I would maybe post over there or do some more searching based on the PD engine. I know they have some strong opinions and lots of people with experience to know what engine is good for the PD. We have an '01, which is an ALH and is less picky. But we run Rotella T6 in it.

·
Go Blue!
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since you have an '04, you have a PD engine, which is definitely important to run the right oil, as the PD motors tend to have cam wear problems. 5w-40 seems to be preferred. TDIClub I believe recommends Mobil 1 TDT (Turbo Diesel Truck) and Rotella T6. I would maybe post over there or do some more searching based on the PD engine. I know they have some strong opinions and lots of people with experience to know what engine is good for the PD. We have an '01, which is an ALH and is less picky. But we run Rotella T6 in it.
Thank you so much Smileybug!

I will go back over to the TDIClub and have another attempt at using the search function. I am a little reluctant to make a post there, they seem to jump all over people who could have found the answer by searching. I have tried searching and even read many posts in the lube section, I'm just really confused right now, there are so many different opinions and options :eek:

I'm a typical newbie, full of obvious and dumb questions :rolleyes:

·
Registered
950 Posts
I have developed a liking for the Castrol product, Synthetic 5w40 which is VW 505.1 spec and is compatible with your PD engine as well as my older ALH engine. During the winter I get my oil changed by one of those places because this is Canada and oil changes at -40 are not on my agenda. The last time they used Mobil and it didn't seem that great to me.

I did use the Rotella but decided to stop using it because it's more difficult to obtain as it seems half the time to be out of stock and only stocked at Canadian Tire where I can get the Castrol product from Wal-Mart and other stores.

The Castrol also costs less and is available in single liter bottles for keeping in the trunk in case I need to top up after filling up with fuel.

·
Go Blue!
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have developed a liking for the Castrol product, Synthetic 5w40 which is VW 505.1 spec and is compatible with your PD engine as well as my older ALH engine. During the winter I get my oil changed by one of those places because this is Canada and oil changes at -40 are not on my agenda. The last time they used Mobil and it didn't seem that great to me.

I did use the Rotella but decided to stop using it because it's more difficult to obtain as it seems half the time to be out of stock and only stocked at Canadian Tire where I can get the Castrol product from Wal-Mart and other stores.

The Castrol also costs less and is available in single liter bottles for keeping in the trunk in case I need to top up after filling up with fuel.
Thanks janitz,

Ah yes, those winters up there can be brutal, I lived in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan for years and know how -40 feels, definitely not temps you could climb under a car in :(

I have a few oils that I just can't make my mind up on yet:

VW 50501 TDI Castrol Professional SLX 5W30 Oil 1 Case (6qts)
Mobil 1 44986 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil - 1 Quart (Pack of 6)
Motul 842451 5W-40 Synthetic Gasoline and Diesel Engine Oil for Volkswagen - 5 Liter

Decisions, decisions, decisions :confused:

·
Go Blue!
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Amsoil 5w-40 Premium Synthetic European Car Formula.
Thank you Omaha!

I found a thread on the TDIClub forums that is over 120 pages long and the topic was Amsoil oil. I gather from there that there are wildly differing opinions on it. I will attempt to read through it as much as I can tonight :)

·
Registered
950 Posts
Thank you Omaha!

I found a thread on the TDIClub forums that is over 120 pages long and the topic was Amsoil oil. I gather from there that there are wildly differing opinions on it. I will attempt to read through it as much as I can tonight :)
Amsoil is good, but I don't feel it's so good relative to the Castrol oil to justify the additional expense.

The oil change place I go to in the winter has both Amsoil and oils from Castrol/Mobil/Shell and the cost of a change with Amsoil is $120 or so, while the other oils are only $90.

Both are ridiculous compared to just doing it yourself. A 5L jug of Castrol from Canadian Tire is $50 CDN, the filter is around $7 CDN, and the oil filter plug is $2 (recommended it is replaced on each oil change).

The only thing with doing it yourself that I haven't got right yet is doing it without getting oil all over the place in the process. I'm a messy bastard.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
If the NBs are like my hubby's '01 TDI, with the filter up top, you can use an oil extractor. No real mess to speak of.

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
My mechanic loves Schaeffer's oil. He has rebuilt engines several times and researched Schaeffer's before using it in any of his cars or customers' cars. Daisy has had it exclusively for the last 50k and my mechanic will be replacing the tb/wp soon and he will check for cam damage then. Lots of good oils out there! I had the same experience with TDI Club...they're kinda like the Vortex unfortunately.:(

·
Registered
950 Posts
If the NBs are like my hubby's '01 TDI, with the filter up top, you can use an oil extractor. No real mess to speak of.
I did that once, but it was a PITA because my extractor was terrible. I think I made as big a mess due to that.

But I can see that if I had a good extractor it would make this a ton easier and faster, just pull the oil up and out, and replace the filter. More than half the time on this job is getting the car on ramps, crawling under to remove the big plastic belly guard and then putting the damn thing back on.

·
Registered
950 Posts
My mechanic loves Schaeffer's oil. He has rebuilt engines several times and researched Schaeffer's before using it in any of his cars or customers' cars. Daisy has had it exclusively for the last 50k and my mechanic will be replacing the tb/wp soon and he will check for cam damage then. Lots of good oils out there! I had the same experience with TDI Club...they're kinda like the Vortex unfortunately.:(
I look things up there, but never post or even have an account. Not the friendly forum this place is.

·
Registered
307 Posts
on a bit of a side note of the 1.9's i've been around i have noticed that each likes different types of oils. Mine like rotilla t6 but i know others around that run through it and use other suggested brands from tdiclub.com. I would say personally try different ones that are recommended and see which works best for your particular tdi.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have run pentosin, Mobil 1 TDT and now running shell T6 in my 06 bug BEW engine. The T6 and Mobil TDT 5w-40 show excellent wear characteristics even in the BEW. Schaeffers is another good choice. Delo 400 LE 5w-40 is also on par with the Mobil and shell product. Bottom line is stay with a diesel rated 5w-40 oil and buy what you can get locally. Personally, I like the Shell T6.

·
slow car fast
59 Posts
I look things up there, but never post or even have an account. Not the friendly forum this place is.
LOL, well the rude boys use a Pela 6000 oil extractor on their ALH TDI's. They generally use T6 or M1 TDT AND run a UOA (used oil analysis) to determine oil change intervals.

Comparing tdiclub to Vortex is a way low blow. Fred's is the only place on the web that has the cumulative info one needs to get the best out of a TDI.

When I need Bug specific info I come right here.

Cheers

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
LOL, well the rude boys use a Pela 6000 oil extractor on their ALH TDI's. They generally use T6 or M1 TDT AND run a UOA (used oil analysis) to determine oil change intervals.

Comparing tdiclub to Vortex is a way low blow. Fred's is the only place on the web that has the cumulative info one needs to get the best out of a TDI.

When I need Bug specific info I come right here.

Cheers
And to compare all Vortex forums to each other isn't fair either ;) I'm a regular on the 'Tex and there really are some great people and great info over there. You just need to stay out of the mk4 forums :lol: There are bad eggs all over the place. I have my issues with Vortex and TDIClub. But I like to use a variety of sources to learn and expand my knowledge :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts