VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, I have a 2000 1.8 and have been changing my oil filter my self, which I buy from the dealer. My friend has a 2003 1.8 and I was told it is the same filter. So the question is I send her to get a filter at the dealership on her side of town, we are changing her for the first time, we drain the oil remove the filter and get ready to replace the new filter, she breaks out this filter that is twice a large as the one that came off. I assume (I now) that they gave her the wrong filter; I give one of mine and inform her to return the wrong one. Today she calls me and says that the dealership told her that they are recommending that we use the large one due to oil crud with the old one. Is this something new, have I missed something somewhere? They claim that the filter o-ring and thread pattern are the same. So any thoughts,any help
thanks
slugo:confused:

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
It's a precautionary measure that's not as important for our transverse mounted 1.8Ts but essential for the Passat and A4, which encountered oil sludge problems.

Just go with it. Having a larger one can't hurt and is certainly better. It's not like the new ones are expensive or anything.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
VW brand oil filters...

I use VW oil filters only and have never been given a substitute for the normal size filter used for ever on my 99 GLS NB 1.8 turbo. This I will have to check out... JK

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please do, and let me know your results. I have now gotten 3 different answers from 3 different vw dealerships.
:werd:

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Yea, VW to prevent the sludging problem has fallen back to using the old 1.6D filters. They hold more oil. More oil is a good thing.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But what I don't understand is how the filter can stop the sludge problem. I do get that more oil is good, but from the looks of the filter it's what all of a pint or so?

·
2000 Cyber Green GLX
27 Posts
pretty much every vw car uses the same filter, except for diesels. Fram PH2870A is used for alot of the cars, and then there is a cartridge style for the deisels.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
The orignal filter held less oil than the new bigger filter. The more oil in the motor, the more crud can be held in suspension before it drops out to form sludge. It is just a way to keep the crud in the oil, and not deposited on the inside of the motor. VW hopes that you will follow the oil change guidlines.
The bigger filter holds quite a bit more oil than the old one.
The bigger filter and synthetic oil should go a long way in keeping the motor clean.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Larger Oil filters as an option...

slugo said:
Please do, and let me know your results. I have now gotten 3 different answers from 3 different vw dealerships.
:werd:
I think the other, additional replies relating to this issue explain just about everything, except how much more oil is needed for an oil change using this larger filter...
I have been unable to speak with my German VW tech.about this as of yet, but I plan to. I think that if you use the very best synthetic oil( I only use Mobil 1, OW40 European formulation) and change it every 5,000 miles or sooner, a larger filter may not be nessesary, but may be some added extra protection against most all solid particles that might find their way into the oil supply or be formed in the oil supply from any sludge that may have been formed from excess over temp. with inadequate turbo cool down..More later, JK

1 - 9 of 9 Posts