VW Beetle Forum banner

Which Subwoofer 2 choose ?

4K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  sean_fabanich 
#1 ·
I need to get some bass in the bug but sound shops needs my car for 2 days to do the install

So I decided to go for Bass Tube

Which one should I go 4 :

Source:www.autostyle.co.za

Pioneer Bass Tube

Pioneer Bass Tube
Pioneer exclusive Linear Power Response Technology
20cm Bass-Relfex Active Subwoofer
200W MAX. (Output Power) 20cm Foamed IMPP composite cone woofer
Built-in 200W max. monaural amplifier 2-Layer Dual Long Voice Coil
Built-in variable LPF (50 - 125Hz, -12dB/oct

JBL Basstube

JBL 10" subwoofer and 250mm passive radiator combined with a 100W RMS amplifier housed in a specific enclosure, all carefully engineered to work together as a unique, integrated system
320 x 625 x 315mm

Pioneer Sub & Enclosure

Bandpass Amplified Subwoofer
For those customers who want powerful bass sound, but don't want to sacrifice their boot space, then this high performing - yet compact - model is on the mark. Its compact design makes easy and flexible installation possible. And no matter how much luggage is packed in the boot, the large-sized aluminium die-cast heat sink keeps cool. A MOSFET 150 W amp improves amplifier performance and reproduces massive power bass. With large exhaust-like dual ports, the TS-WX206A looks and performs the part of a true muscle amp: producing the higher SPL that tuning fans want in their car

See less See more
#3 ·
How about a MTX Thunderform Sub for your Beetle? (I have nothing to do with this seller, I just am using it for illustration)

I have the amplified version (BUG10A which has a 100 watt amp installed) and it works great. At this years Mt St Helens GTG, I fired it up for some of the people there and they were honestly surprised at how much punch this thing has. At first, they weren't too impressed as you can't really hear much of it outside the car. But when they poked their head inside with the hatch closed, they all said WOW!

Whether you are totally set in one of the ones you posted or not, I highly recommend at least looking into one of these. They hit pretty hard! :D

#4 ·
24bug the installer needs the 2days for custom fit 8'rockford & lighning audio in trunk but do not wanna leave car there ,they only quote one price which was R3200 which is R7 = $1 or R11 = 1 pound

jdesigns the mtx sounds perfect,the main reason i want the tube was not to loose so much boot space

I will email hifi sound for shipping details to South africa

any other suggestions guys

check out some sa site :
www.veedubz.co.za
www.vwclub.co.za
www.vw.co.za - check the rabbit

#5 ·
dkronie said:
24bug the installer needs the 2days for custom fit 8'rockford & lighning audio in trunk but do not wanna leave car there ,they only quote one price which was R3200 which is R7 = $1 or R11 = 1 pound

jdesigns the mtx sounds perfect,the main reason i want the tube was not to loose so much boot space

I will email hifi sound for shipping details to South africa

any other suggestions guys

check out some sa site :
www.veedubz.co.za
www.vwclub.co.za
www.vw.co.za - check the rabbit

Then "Git 'r' Done !!!

#7 ·
From what I've heard, I wouldn't trust a bass tube. A few people I've known who have had them have ended up with blown subs. You'll save a good amount of space though in your trunk.

Have you ever considered having a 10" or even a 12" sub in a small box with the amp mounted to it. It really wouldn't take up alot of space. You could even go with a Q-Form or an MTX stealth box that hides in your car and still gives you cargo space.

Either way, it's great you wanna put some thump in the bug. Have fun with it, because once you've had bass, you'll never want to listen to stock speakers.:D

#8 ·
dkronie said:
I need to get some bass in the bug but sound shops needs my car for 2 days to do the install
A good shop should be able to build a custom (yet simple) box for a sub or 2 and install it along with the amp(s) in a day. I had everyting replaced in mine, headunit, RF FanQs front and rear, a box for 2 12" subs, 2 amps, and cabeling ran in 2 days.

#9 ·
tubes are bad news IMO, you can get alot more output and sound quality with an amp, sub, and properly built box (not a prefab). whats your budget? what type of music do you lisen to? are you a SQ person, or a SPL person (louuuud), or do you fall somewhere inbetween (SQL)?

#11 ·
I guess it depends on how much bass you want: the loud rattling type or just enough to enhance the music and add some lows. I'd recommend a single 10" as they seem to be more accurate and less thumpy. A single 10 in a one foot square box has worked fine for me in a new Civic. I had a sub mounted in the spare tire in my NB, but you need one that can handle the lack of 'back pressure' found when you use an enclosed woofer box(is that infinite baffle?).
I added speakers in the rear trunk cover in the NB and disconnected the rears, it really opened up the sound for the non-monsoon head unit. I never used the sub after that.
I am using the Infinity 10" in a small box and a small amp to make the Civic radio sound great. I used high level inputs and it works perfectly. Allows me to lower the bass on the radio, getting all the bass from the woofer and preserving the factory speakers. OEM speakers sounded bad at first, but with the sub they have started sounding very 'musical'!

#17 ·
jdesigns said:
How about a MTX Thunderform Sub for your Beetle? (I have nothing to do with this seller, I just am using it for illustration)

I have the amplified version (BUG10A which has a 100 watt amp installed) and it works great. At this years Mt St Helens GTG, I fired it up for some of the people there and they were honestly surprised at how much punch this thing has. At first, they weren't too impressed as you can't really hear much of it outside the car. But when they poked their head inside with the hatch closed, they all said WOW!

Whether you are totally set in one of the ones you posted or not, I highly recommend at least looking into one of these. They hit pretty hard! :D
I have the Bug10 (non-amplified version in my 2001 NB and it totally rocks. I used it for a while with the stock 10" sub, but I changed the speaker it came with to a better sub and now it REALLY rocks! Here is a pic of it..

For my 2004 Convertible, I went a lot more custom and had the rear seat removed and two 10" subs installed. See below...

With the motorized amp rack down.

WIth the motorized amp rack up.

Rear view showing the tonneau cover and speedster humps covering the amp rack.

#18 ·
Here's what I have...

Alpine Type-R DVC 4ohm 10" sub
Q-Logic 10" sealed box with stuffing
Rockfgord P3001 amp

Let's just say it's deceptive. :) I put this setup in a R32 and we cracked the back window. In Jenna, it's even more awesome. :)

#20 ·
so yeah....bass tubes are always a let down...unless you have one laying around dont even bother. with the roadnoise the car produces...esp with the windows open you wont hear it well unless you crank it...and when you crank it you wont like the way it sounds

i have a 99 beetle. i replaced the door speakers. a set of eclipse components up front and a set of diamond audios in the rear. and a diamond audio 10 with a vented box built to sub standards....it is a large box. i mounted a five channel kicker amp to the rear of the seat along with a capacitor and got it all tuned up. the acoustics of the car really help with sound....my car hits at over 130 db....its loud...and being a diamond audio sub its very clean...never was a fan of vented boxes till i had this sub.

id suggest a single ten in a vented truck box to anyone...its small and easily removable.(if this were a car with a sealed trunk then id suggest a sealed box). just mount the amp to the back of the seat. if you have an amp that pushes over 350 watts...or better yet look at the amp...if it has a fuse or fuses that add up to over 40 or 50 amps id definetly consider either a yellow top battery or a capacitor to save on batterys or the alternator.

i wouldnt suggest doing this install yourself unless you have alot of patience and decent understanding of installs. its not extremely difficult but can be pretty challenging if everything doesnt go right. just shop around and find a shop that has worked on beetles before..or else expect the install to take longer than they quote...something always seems to go wrong or at least hold up the install...haha.

lets face it...if you wanted trunk room you wouldnt have bought this car...so just put something decent in the trunk and enjoy the sound.

good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.