NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Beetle Turbo Final Edition
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone can please advise....

Think it's finally time to replace the original Goodyear tires on my wife's 2000 Beetle GLS...She recently turned over 60K mile..so, between the mileage and age of tires, think it's time..

Been reading up a bit on tires at Consumer Reports plus some other places online as well as spoke with 2 tire stores and a VW dealer...the more I read and hear, the more confused I get... ;)

Some places highly recommend Michelin and Continental, but one tire store that sells Michelin said he wouldn't recommend them as the rubber doesn't age well and one place said that Continental's are noisy.

I've had good luck on other cars with Bridgestones, but Consumer Reports gave them low ratings and one store said some models wear out quickly ...

As for what type of tire is needed. Given the age of the car (ie, will probably sell it within a few years...) plus the fact that my wife is a slow, careful driver and hardly puts any miles on the car, not looking for hi-end performance tires.

So, what say you all?

Thanks for any and all input!

Mark

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
I've had Hankooks, Kumhos, and just got a set of Continentals. The Hankooks were my least favorite of those three. Not the best in the rain and started dry rotting in 3 years (car was driven). Kumhos were pretty good middle of the road tires. I think I got the Ecstas or something like that. Weren't the cheapest but held up well. Did good in the rain, pretty quiet. I had Nittos on my GTI when I got it but they never had a ton of tread so I was always careful on them. The Contis are great though. No problem in the rain, quiet, and a pretty soft ride.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for all the great feedback. Appreciate it!

Can you tell me which Continental's you bought?

·
Registered
712 Posts
You get what you pay for. I run Michelin on my Beetle and Conti's on my Audi A4 Convertible. Michelins wear better and both are very quiet.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input....appreciate it...

Agree that usually you get what you pay for....

Meanwhile, would be great to know which model Michelin and Continental tires you have....

Every company makes so many tires....it's helpful to know which ones people have experience with....

Thanks!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
I have a version of the Contis that are only sold at Discount Tire - Pro Contact Sport I believe. But they are basically their DWS tire.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a version of the Contis that are only sold at Discount Tire - Pro Contact Sport I believe. But they are basically their DWS tire.
Thanks for the additional info!....that helps...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Michelin Defender on beetle.
Continental Extreme Contact DWS on Audi
Thank you for the info, just what I needed....

:)

·
Registered
950 Posts
I have Nokian enTyre on my summer wheels, for winter I have Hankook Optimo 4S.

The one tire I would not use is a Pirelli, not because of performance, I've just had bad experience with road noise from that manufacturer. Enough that I essentially threw away $600 worth of tires just to get them off my Beetle early, which is when I went with the Nokian enTyre as the fellow assured me they were quieter on the road (they are nice and quiet).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for all the feedback, Janitz....

Heard the name Nokian, but never used them....

Interesting to hear about Pirelli noise issue....hadn't heard that before...I know that they are great performance tires, but always heard they wear out quickly due to the soft rubber they use, which is why they wear out so fast...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE - Got New Tires....

Realized I didn't get around to providing update on which tires we ended with on the Beetle...

Put on a set of Continental Pure Contact's about 2 months ago and they are very nice tires so far....

Car drives very nicely now.....

Thanks again for everyone's input!

Mark

·
RichmondAir
29 Posts
Tires from Michelin seems the best for me. I tried the others but I'm not as satisfied. Continental tires come in second though they're not as durable unlike Michelin tires.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the follow up. All too often it doesn't get taken care of! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
You're most welcome!.....

And I greatly appreciate everyone that has provided their input...

That's great! I'm glad you have chosen a nice set of tires. I've been using this as well for quite a while now and everything's going smoothly.
Tires from Michelin seems the best for me. I tried the others but I'm not as satisfied. Continental tires come in second though they're not as durable unlike Michelin tires.
Thanks for your comments....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts