NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, forgive me if this has been posted many times over, I quickly tried to search the forums, but got a lot of inconclusive answers at least to me.

My g/f just bought a NB, and guess who's gonna be working on it :rolleyes:, haha, anyways, I just wanted a direction to go in, or at least some conclusive answers to which is best, which I should get, pros and cons, etc.

I have heard nothing but good things about the Vag-Com system, at least for VW owners, essentially that it is a lifesaver when troubleshooting.

What I'm asking here is, which cable should I be getting, is there any specific one that works the best (or ones to look out for known for being junk). Also what software should I look into getting, same questions as above.

Thanks

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
Ross-Tech Store: VCDS

Ross-Tech has all the stuff you'll need, as well as info on what system is best for you.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you run windows 7 make sure it's one that works with the Ross Tech software, I bought one that needs XP then got a 2nd one that uses Ross Tech & it's fine. $20 off ebay for the lead.

Kate

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses guys.

Now that I am reading about it more, I am wary to buy one. I have read about the aftermarket radio issue. I have a Pioneer that was installed by the previous owner, (so no idea about how they hooked the wires up).

What is the worst that can happen if it causes "the issue"? Maybe its just that its late here and I'm tired, but I can't make sense of the Ross Tech website's explanation.

My tentative plan unless someone here tells me why I shouldn't, is to order a cheap VAGCOM interface off Amazon (Amazon.com: OBD2 OBD II Diagnostic USB Cable For KKL409.1 VAG-COM 409: Camera & Photo) and just use VCDS-Lite. I don't seem to need the additional functionality of the 250-350 dollar software they have.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
When you go with a cheap chinese made one, you are taking a gamble.

Yes, for some odd reason, ross-tech vcds lite software might work with it, but it's not garunteed, or even promised by ross-tech. If it doesn't work, you have 0 support through them, and probably no support, or at least decent support, through whoever you bought it from.

If you need help deciding which ross-tech cable to buy, it's easy actually.

98-10 beetle will take the KII-USB
12+ beetle will take the Micro-Can

if you plan on using this cable with other vw/audi models

for vw 96-05 (OBD2 mk3 to mk4) will take the KII and 05.5+ (mk5+) will take the Can.

For audi, I believe they switched to Can in 02+.

Also, if you need a cable that will work on All models, there's the Hex-Usb+Can. Yes it costs more, but it's both cables in one.

I'm not trying to discourage getting one of the cheap ones, but if you want one that's guaranteed to just work with the added support from ross-tech, and their forums and wiki, you gotta pay the piper.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
USB KKL 409.1 cable for AUDI VW OBD2 OBD 2 VAG-COM | eBay

This is the 2nd one I bought, it works perfectly with vcds lite.

The 1st one I bought did not work with vcds and needed xp to run, it would not work with vcds only the software they supplied.

Kate
Thank you :] That auction had ended but I found a comparable one.

When you go with a cheap chinese made one, you are taking a gamble.

Yes, for some odd reason, ross-tech vcds lite software might work with it, but it's not garunteed, or even promised by ross-tech. If it doesn't work, you have 0 support through them, and probably no support, or at least decent support, through whoever you bought it from.

If you need help deciding which ross-tech cable to buy, it's easy actually.

98-10 beetle will take the KII-USB
12+ beetle will take the Micro-Can

if you plan on using this cable with other vw/audi models

for vw 96-05 (OBD2 mk3 to mk4) will take the KII and 05.5+ (mk5+) will take the Can.

For audi, I believe they switched to Can in 02+.

Also, if you need a cable that will work on All models, there's the Hex-Usb+Can. Yes it costs more, but it's both cables in one.

I'm not trying to discourage getting one of the cheap ones, but if you want one that's guaranteed to just work with the added support from ross-tech, and their forums and wiki, you gotta pay the piper.
Thanks for the info, but to me, 250-350 is too much for something I am going to end up using 2 times a year. For the grand total of 20 I ended up paying for the cheap one, I'm not too worried about support, if it doesn't work, I won't be crushed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts