NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Imbugd - 99 1.8t
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, not looking for anything definative through the net, but an idea of where to look would be a good thing.

I have a 99 1.8t, aph beetle. Now recently I have run into a new noise. Im very careful about these things, and I like to hunt them down and cure them b4 anything goes wrong accordingly.

Through normal driving, i.e. my girlfriend driving, or myself just leisurly driving around, theres no problems. There are a few highway entrances around however where a good deal of accelleration is called for.

So under hard acceleration, generally in gear 1-3, most often in gear 2, theres a high pitched whine. This sounds like a forced air thing to me, that kind, not like anything metallic.. At the same time there can be hesitation.. almost a shuddering.. My guess is its not getting air to the right place, therefore not able push enough power till whatever it is opens up. Note this shuddering or hesitation does not always occur..

Feel free to correct any of my guesses since thats just what they are. Any ideas on where to look? vacuum tubes?

..oh and nothing at the moment as far as cel or any other idiot lights. I do have a vag tool so if someone has somnething to check with that feel free to mention it.

·
New to New Beetle
36 Posts
LOL! You are joking right...

If not sorry I'm giving you a hard time how long have you had the bug, have you replaced anything in it? The high pitched whining sound is the turbo spooling up, that's what it sounds like to me I think everything is ok.

I may have also misunderstood your question, it's either the turbo, or possible an alternator going out? Those are the only 2 things I can think of that whine, power steering will whine but only when you are turning... Hope this helps.

Now is this sound like a real whine, or is it like a whistle that gets higher pitched the harder you accelerate, I don't know I really think you don't have anything to worry about it I see you've posted about 4 messages, and talking about upgrading things, sometimes when you upgrade things like intakes and stuff you'll hear stuff you didn't hear before because the sound is amplified through the new parts.

·
Diesel Inside
359 Posts
I agree...if it's sort of a whistle that gets louder until you shift and then spools up again it's your turbo. Not only is it perfectly normal but it's cool. If you've upgraded your intake or exhaust you will hear it even more.

I love hearing it on the TDI. I love going by a wall or in heavye traffic with the windows down so it amplifies and I can hear it even more.

·
Performance Freak
137 Posts
Unless you've developed a boost leak, which would make more noise than normal. But that's usually a louder whoooshy wind noise.
The only whine I hear in my car is when my wife is in the passenger seat and I'm flying around turns!
:D

·
Imbugd - 99 1.8t
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm

Ok I am a person of at least normal IQ. Lets give me at least the benefit of the doubt on the silly stuff please.. :) After 6 years of owning the car I am pretty familiar with the sound of the turbo spinning up.:rolleyes:

It is a new sound, and is accompanied by a new hesitation, or shuddereing, during acceleration. They are definately linked, so I imagine there is some sort of leak or valve sticking that should not be.

I have posted b4 a few times about various upgrades, but to date none of them have been done, Im still working on a stock beetle. So nothing wierd, hardware wise to deal with here.

What Im wondering is if there is a quick few places to check that you can think of, or tests that can be done for a better diagnosis using the vag tool.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
is it a whine or like a honking? if you have the vag tool you could hook it up and watch your boost, your completely stock, i would bet its your dv if your losing power as well

·
New to New Beetle
36 Posts
mystix said:
Ok I am a person of at least normal IQ. Lets give me at least the benefit of the doubt on the silly stuff please.. :) After 6 years of owning the car I am pretty familiar with the sound of the turbo spinning up.:rolleyes:
Well I'm new that's my excuse :D, sorry but you never know.

·
Imbugd - 99 1.8t
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks

Ok, thanks guys btw for giving this a quick read and throwing some ideas out there. I do appreciate it..

Ill do the VAG thing you suggested tommorrow and see what I get out of it.

..ponder, fitting a name to a noise is always difficult. definately not a 'honk' Lets change the 'whine' to a 'whistle' Thats prolly more descriptive.. In rethinking I suppose 'whine' does sound more mechanical, and this is more like an air noise, so 'whistle' is prolly better.

DV valve eh? yeah I suppose that could be, had trouble (not like this) before.. That would be an ideal and cheap problem to fix I imagine. Thanks again, I ll post back if I get any results that mean anything.

·
New to New Beetle
36 Posts
Yeah, when I listen to mine I kinda think I hear air slipping out somewhere it's a wooshing sound, and it feels like sometimes I have more power then others so maybe boost is leaking out somewhere, so I'm going to be replacing the DV valve, you can get a brand new one from VW for 35.00 bucks it's supposed to be better then the stock ones, it's bosch part number 0 280 142 114 supposedly every VW before 02 has a ****ty DV, I'm not saying that this is as good as the 100+ dollar ones, but it's at least better then our original ones and it's definitely good for a quick fix. I'll be replacing that and getting that n75j thing everyone talks about as well.

·
Imbugd - 99 1.8t
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fixed apparently

Well.. the whistle is gone, and the the associated shudder on acceleration with it!:D

It was losing boost on acceleration, only for a second then it would catch back up. I had a spare n75 around, had been planning on changing it after reading all its bad press for causing various problems related to limp mode a while back.

That has apparently fixed the problem.. I wanted to be sure to put a resolution onto all this for future reference.

·
New to New Beetle
36 Posts
Glad that fixed your problem, hopefully this will clear up my issues with running to rich getting a pop when I shift gears, it's more prone to happen in 3rd which feels like a very long gear to me.. Although lately it's happening in 1st and from 4th to 5th as well, but Only when I'm punching it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts