NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I recently bought a 2005 Black New Beetle GLS with the 2.0 engine. It has the automatic tip-tronic transmission and the Cold Weather Package.

It is only 3 months old and has under 1500 miles on it.

About a month ago we started hearing a strange whining noise comming from the engine when it is cold started. It only happens either first thing in the morning or after the car has been sitting at my wife's work all day. My wife first described it (and its the best description of it) as sounding like a little demented elf is stuck in the engine and giggling.

We immediately took it into the dealership that we bought it from and they kept it overnight to see if they could reproduce the sound. The next day they said that they did verify the noise and that it was the secondary air injection pump and that the noise is normal.

Not very happy with the loud giggling elf we took it home kind of dissapointed that we will have to live with the noise. In the following weeks since then we have noticed that the noise is getting louder and louder. I'm starting to believe that the wife is almost embarrased to drive it down the street because it is that loud.

Then the other night we had some friends over, including a girl who had just bought a end of year sale 2005 VW about 2 months ago. When we asked her if her car ever made similar noises she said never! She has the exact same car too, the same engine, same transmition, and even same color!

When we demonstrated the noise for her her face kind of winced at the sound of it and was shocked about it.

We called up VW corporate this morning to see what course of action we could take. I am kind of cautious to bring it back into the dealership that we got it from because of the big deal I made about it not 4 weeks ago. The lady whome my wife talked to basically asked her what she wants her to do and said the only thing to do is take it back in and let the dealership deal with it.

Has anyone else experienced this noise? It is quite frustrating to have a brand new car give us so much problems. I hate to make scenes and I would really hate it if I did make one and was wrong, but this is just so upsetting.

·
Eine Kleine Panzer
210 Posts
Sounds like the sec air injection pump...it should sound a little like a vacuum cleaner running under the hood. It comes on shortly after cold start and in stop-and-go traffic. I can hear it on my 1.8t and my 2.0 when the radio is off. The noise is totally normal, it is part of emissions control.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
One of the rivets that holds the case together can sometimes weaken. That could cause the elf to yell instead of just whisper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts