VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 beetle 1.8t. I had the timing belt changed about 18 months ago. All parts bought thru ecs tuning. I bought their timing belt package. Saturday night, i goto start the car and there's a loud whining noise coming from timing belt area. Anyone ever have this issue? I popped the cover off and the belt seems to be all the way on the edge of the cam gears. I didn't know if maybe the belt is rubbing the lower timing cover or what. Any help is appreciated.

·
His name is Poseidon
100 Posts
When you took the timing belt cover off, did you start the car to see if the problem went away?

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Sounds like; there is definitely a problem; I would NOT drive the car, until the problem is resolved (you could bend your valves with a belt failure). I would check each part of the timing belt path; each idler pulley, water pump, and hydraulic tensioner are all suspect. This is NOT something to "ignore"; take lightly or not investigate. A failed timing belt will result in thousands of dollars in repairs.

Something is wrong; you need to investigate, to see what it is (most likely a full tear down is needed; to check all the parts in the timing belt path).

Just as a easy diagnosis starting point; remove the outer serpentine belt and see if the sound goes away. if it doesn't change anything; it is definitely, the timing belt.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was afraid of that lol. I'm gong to check the bottom timing cover after work. I'll pull the serp belt off too and see if anything changes. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took off the top cover completely. And low and behold the timing belt was rubbing on the bottom cover. A metal tab by the motor mount. Bent tab back, viola, no more noise lol. Thanks for all the help guys. Still curious how that tab bent in but I'll just be happy no major damage was done.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Good, glad you found the source of the problem; you can NEVER be too careful about the timing belt! If you have some time; maybe, take a photo of the tab, you are referring to and post it up here, thanks! :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Celebrated to soon lol. On my way to work today. Our of no where i heard a rubbing sound. I pull over. Open hood and it looked like the right engine mount failed and the timing pulley was digging into engine mount. Belt got all chewed up. Car getting towed to mechanic. Is that common when the engine mount fails?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
Do you mean the mount on the side with the timing belt? If so, were new bolts used for the mount when the belt job was done?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i got the timing belt complete kit from ecs tuning. not sure if new bolts came with it or not.
and yes....the whining was definitely my car trying to tell me something bad was about to happen lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ecs tuning gave me a discount on a new kit and passenger side mount. overnight shipped was about 250. and my mechanic is charging me 350 to install everything.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
The real question is were those bolts installed and were they torqued properly? Sounds like a case of the bolts giving out because it wasn't done right. They are one time use stretch bolts on the mounts and I've seen this happen before when they were re-used.

Also, if the belt got shredded up you might want to check for engine damage.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Make sure; the motor mount threads, are not stripped out. It is not uncommon for this to happen; especially, if you reuse your stretch bolts. Hopefully, there isn't any damage to your valves/head; your car was "speaking" to you, ignore it at your peril! :mad: I hope; everything works out and is repaired correctly and the car is back on the road soon! :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I definitely understand what your saying. And i questioned my mechanic and he is a vw mechanic. I trust him. But i don't think there was engine damage. Car was running fine besides the rubbing noise. But who knows.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
You may be a VERY lucky New Beetle owner! :angel: It could have been a catastrophic failure! :eek: Hopefully, he can whip it; back into shape in a jiffy! :whip:

Let us know; how it goes ! :):flipper:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts