NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I reach about 40-50mph I hear a whistling / wind sound coming from the front up by the windshield. I've determined the sound isn't coming from either of the side doors or the back, it's definitely coming from up front. Cracking the side windows or the sunroof doesn't solve it. There is no damage to the windshield itself. The noise also isn't coming from below the dash -- I've tested various modes of the climate control which has no effect on it.

I'm beginning to think the windshield has a leak in the seal or the cowl isn't sealed properly. Has anyone else run into this issue before?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I notice you have the turbo.
Does the noise change if you manually deploy the spoiler at speed? Perhaps it would change the airflow enough to make the pressure on the windshield change, and would confirm the windshield gasket?
Could be tedious, but a thin rope of black modeling clay pressed around the edge of the seal would verify your gasket theory.
On mine I could pinpoint the noise to the lower driver side corner, I put a piece of duct tape over that corner to confirm at speed.
I just wedged a little matchstick sized chunk of wood in the seal gap and it went away enough to be masked by all the Other noises.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts