NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
We've only got 4 Minutes!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My former co-worker has a 2012 Toffee Brown Beetle, and she knows my obsession with VWs, especially the Beetle.. and she often let's me drive it around town. I will have to admit I am disappointed with mostly the interior standard quality/ design for the first trim level. (Not the rental trim with the plastic hub caps and cloth interior, but the second with the retro round hub caps and chrome around it.

The thing that bothers me the most is not being able to charge your phone when Turning off the motor. I've had a '99 Beetle for a few years and my phone charges regardless if the key is in or out of the ignition. Another is the the radio console and design around it. I think it's very cheap looking. Especially the standard sound system. There's no boost like the moonson that was standard in the 2003 or 2004+ models. And the horn is extremely embarrassing. You can barely hear it! The rear view mirror is also tiny compared to the previous models!

What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Have to agree with many of the points you make. I have multiple devices needing charging and it'd be great to charge them whirl the cars off.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
A lot of cars cut power once the engine is off. I know my hubby's '00 Accord did. I think its more protection for the battery. When mine was dying, that's what did mine in...I left the GPS plugged in after I turned the car off and it kept charging it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can't really speak to the low end trim, but the combination of Fender, RNS315 and Kessy on the sound + nav models is just awesome. :cool:

I agree the horn and alarm could be louder. Especially as VW wanted to make this a more "masculine" car, nothing funnier than pulling into a parking lot and locking the doors, then a guy in a Honda Civic pulls into the spot next to you and it's got a deafening beep when he locks his doors. :rolleyes:

I cross shopped VW with Honda, Hyundai and Ford and the center console in the VW is just so refined and restrained, just the right amount of buttons and switches to get the job done without looking like a jumbo jet cockpit. :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
I always found it annoying that the power points on early NB's stayed on, if ever there is a way to kill your battery thats it!

On the facelift NB's (06 on) all the power points turned off with the key as does the 2012 bugs.

The stereo in my UK Beetle Design is really good, but we do get the DAB touchscreen stereo as standard on Design trim, perhaps you don't have that in the US?

·
Super Moderator
5,364 Posts
I've got no problems with any of it. I charge my phone in the house so no need to charge it while I'm not driving. Better for it to turn them all off than to kill the battery because you forget something. Horn sounds find to me too IMO. It doesn't sound like a truck horn but it's not some wimpy little fart either. The alarm beep is a lot better than it was in the 2000s VWs which were more of a dying duck.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don't have a problem with power shutting off with the key but do with the 1980's GEO quality plug for for the outlet and the fact the heated seats don't have memory like my Golfs did and don't stay on for awhile while you pump gas or just run on somewhere quick also no light in the glove box like the Golf where the interface cable is and not easily reached or found instead of in arm rest I still love the car but it does lack the quality of the Golf

1 - 10 of 10 Posts