NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know what brand remote starter the TDI guys are using. No one around me wants to install a remote starter on a 5 speed.

I'd want a turbo timer at least.

What are you guys doing about the key fobs? Just carring two, one for remote start and then the one with the switchblade key?

Thanks for helping a Beetle noob out.

Joe

·
Registered
35 Posts
I believe Clifford is one of the only companies around that have a remote start that will start a 5-speed. The reason most people don't want to remote start a 5-speed is that you must somehow disable the engaged clutch switch to start the vehicle. The Clifford system makes you do a certain sequence of events to tell the remote start that you want to start the vehicle before you leave. I have this remote start but my Mustang that is on is an auto. I believe that you put the car into neutral and set the parking break and tap the break pedal 2 times before you exit the car before each time you wanted to start the car from the remote. I use to be a car audio installer.

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Don't forget about the glow plugs and the immobilizers too. It COULD be done, but it's cost-prohibitive, and the fact is, a TDI doesn't warm up like a gas engine...idling it does nothing. You want instant heat, get the heated seats. You want instant cool, get the Alientech window controller. Basically, I wouldn't do it. Not worth it...

·
Registered
35 Posts
this unit that I am talking about will start a diesel and turn the ignition on to turn on the glow plugs. It is not cheap. I think it was around $800 if installed on a cutomer's car.

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
undoing the clutch start is as easy as unpluging it from the back of the pettle

·
Registered
35 Posts
yes but on a remote start if that is disabled all the time the car would start in gear and possibly take off.

·
Send Money
1,135 Posts
Sounds like a really bad idea to me.. all sorts of things can go wrong. What do you want that for, anyway? In the winter, the car really does not heat up much until it gets moving. In mine, I cannot tell you how glad I am that I opted for the heated seats. In summer.. the A/C, if it's working properly, cools off the car mighty quick. Also, for around $50, you can install the alientech window controller to get the windows to roll down to let out that first burst of heat before you get to the car. www.alientech.net

Don't do it!!!

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
well that a chance u gotta take :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts