NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well 4 days ago I fired up my bug ( I had to jumpstart it :( )

And when I entered I noticed my footwell was filled with water TONS of it since Mexico city has been bombarded with h2O for 4 straight days, so I took out floor mat and procedde to take out most of the water with a large plastic minibucket (YES IT WAS THAT BAD) a freaking pool!..

So I took out and drove away with the AC on heat directed to the floor so after 2 days it became completely dry, yesterday night it rained dogs and cats again and today I have Another POOL in the bug the back seat even worse!!!!

So I took out the Bentley manual and proceeded to service the sun roof....

Basically the sunroof has 4 drainage exits one in each corner. The 2 front ones are visible as small holes in the front corners of the sunrrof the rears are imposible to see.

Procedure:

Get a small screwdriver and a electrical shielded cable of a big gauge like 2/8 of an inch (number 10 or 9).

Open the rear hatch and you will notice that in the hinge section there are 2 plastic grommets that are oval shaped..use the small screwdriver to take them out then youll see tha a small plastic ruber thingy is there use the electrical wire/cable and insert it into the conduct be patien and insert it slowly (the cable must measure 1 yard BTW), insert it like 20 inches are take it out repeat 3 times on each side.

ok the rear is done that is the SUPER easy part.

The fronts: open the hood then insert the cable into the front corner of the sun roof and insert it slowly until almost the whole yard has gone inside, if you succeded inserting it and the drainage conduct is not blocked (AS WAS MY CASE) youll se the cable coming out from peeking from the motor bay into the side of the front pilar (below where the front wiper is attached)

If it wont go anymore and you HAVE A LEAK PROBLEM :

You will have to take out the plastic A pilar covers (they are attached via pastic tugs) so they must be removed by a good yank and when the 3 attachments are loose the part goes up and away.

Then remove the center dash (here are a ton of how to´s in this regard) when you have removed the plastic pillar cover and the center dash you will see a plastic tube cream colored running down the pilar and into a platic part all attached with some black plastic goo ( a sealer)

get a empty glass and a big cloth.

yank the tube and it wil ldetach from the grommet (and get the glass ASAP since most probale the tube is filled with water and you dont want real filthy water and mud al lover the place (BELIEVE ME YOU DONT :D ).

the insert the cable in the grommet and make the path clear (whatever it takes !! in my case it was super blocked in took me 10 minutes of cajoling with the grommet until clear, then let it dry and put some silicone glue and reattach the tube, ensuring that it went well inside the exit grommet.

Same for the other side.

IT IS A BIG PITA.

My advice DONT let your sunroof be filled with dust, leaves, dirt...I never cared for it and today I lost 2.5 hours of hard work and got really dirty and on top of that My bug smells weird i hope both pools I had do not ruin the floor.

I hope I can post pics tomorrow since its RAINING AGAIN :mad:

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Pulgamovil said:
Well 4 days ago I fired up my bug ( I had to jumpstart it :( )

And when I entered I noticed my footwell was filled with water TONS of it since Mexico city has been bombarded with h2O for 4 straight days, so I took out floor mat and procedde to take out most of the water with a large plastic minibucket (YES IT WAS THAT BAD) a freaking pool!..

So I took out and drove away with the AC on heat directed to the floor so after 2 days it became completely dry, yesterday night it rained dogs and cats again and today I have Another POOL in the bug the back seat even worse!!!!

So I took out the Bentley manual and proceeded to service the sun roof....

Basically the sunroof has 4 drainage exits one in each corner. The 2 front ones are visible as small holes in the front corners of the sunrrof the rears are imposible to see.

Procedure:

Get a small screwdriver and a electrical shielded cable of a big gauge like 2/8 of an inch (number 10 or 9).

Open the rear hatch and you will notice that in the hinge section there are 2 plastic grommets that are oval shaped..use the small screwdriver to take them out then youll see tha a small plastic ruber thingy is there use the electrical wire/cable and insert it into the conduct be patien and insert it slowly (the cable must measure 1 yard BTW), insert it like 20 inches are take it out repeat 3 times on each side.

ok the rear is done that is the SUPER easy part.

The fronts: open the hood then insert the cable into the front corner of the sun roof and insert it slowly until almost the whole yard has gone inside, if you succeded inserting it and the drainage conduct is not blocked (AS WAS MY CASE) youll se the cable coming out from peeking from the motor bay into the side of the front pilar (below where the front wiper is attached)

If it wont go anymore and you HAVE A LEAK PROBLEM :

You will have to take out the plastic A pilar covers (they are attached via pastic tugs) so they must be removed by a good yank and when the 3 attachments are loose the part goes up and away.

Then remove the center dash (here are a ton of how to´s in this regard) when you have removed the plastic pillar cover and the center dash you will see a plastic tube cream colored running down the pilar and into a platic part all attached with some black plastic goo ( a sealer)

get a empty glass and a big cloth.

yank the tube and it wil ldetach from the grommet (and get the glass ASAP since most probale the tube is filled with water and you dont want real filthy water and mud al lover the place (BELIEVE ME YOU DONT :D ).

the insert the cable in the grommet and make the path clear (whatever it takes !! in my case it was super blocked in took me 10 minutes of cajoling with the grommet until clear, then let it dry and put some silicone glue and reattach the tube, ensuring that it went well inside the exit grommet.

Same for the other side.

IT IS A BIG PITA.

My advice DONT let your sunroof be filled with dust, leaves, dirt...I never cared for it and today I lost 2.5 hours of hard work and got really dirty and on top of that My bug smells weird i hope both pools I had do not ruin the floor.

I hope I can post pics tomorrow since its RAINING AGAIN :mad:
And here all this time I thought the front drains exited behind the inner fender wheel well liners tword the bottom. How did you access the front drain exits from the engine compartment??? JK

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could not! I took out the whole wipers and the plastic cover from ther I cloud put my hand in ther e and "feel the grommet" it was dry! then when i put the cable toward the front i got it and pulled till I cleared it IT WAS ROCK SOLID plugged it took me lots of effort to clear it.

the passenger side is easier because there is nothing there but the driver has the wiper mech. and believe me CLEAN OFTEN your sunroof assy. You dont want to do this...! YUK!

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is the ordeal open the hatch remove the grommet covers,,

For the sake of simplicity you can use your antena for the rear conducts, but the fronts will need something larger and more flexable

The fronts are more difficult.

remove the a pilar plastic covers see pic

then youll see the plastic conducts yank them and clean them (be carefull its very posible they will be filled with mud and water (HAVE AN EMPTY GLASS or cloth), clean them and reattach em with a good plastic glue or silicon.

have FUN...:( just llok att the poolI had on top..!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Folks,

I had this exact problem, found this thread, followed the instructions and it solved the problem perfectly.

My driver side forward drain proved to be clogged, and it was clogged between the hose you yank out of the bottom of the A-pillar (as pictured) and the outlet under the windshield washer arm.

Great how-to post, thanks.

·
Save a horse, ride a....
222 Posts
Great post...solved the problem I had of water leaking into passenger rear window at car wash. Discovered at this time that the passenger front is plugged too...argh.

BTW, aside from aesthetics, I wonder if one could just leave the plastic caps off the rear grommets. I'm thinking this would allow any water in the channels/drain to exit faster and prevent an overflow problem..(when it overflows, the water runs right down the rear windows)

EDIT - Well I fixed the front passenger drain problem as well. Just be careful with whatever 'tool' you use to shove down the drain hole. I was a bit too aggressive, and somehow the end of the drain tube detached from the rubber grommet. Next thing I knew, water was leaking all over the passenger floor, and I ended up having to remove the dash top and the A pillar cover as well to reattach it.

Also, my 'tool' was a length of vinyl tubing (1/4 OD I think). My reasoning was that after shoving it down the drain hole as far as it could go, I could then 'blow' through the tubing helping to blow out whatever was plugging the drain. Great in theory, and it worked great except for the fact that the tube detached from the grommet.

·
TACO!
210 Posts
Sooo I discovered a leak yesterday in my driver's side rear near the window. I have pics and I may/may not post them later.

Question is, will a clogged sunroof drain cause the hatch/trunk to leak too? I went in there to check on something and saw condensation on my CD case only then to discover a larger problem when I took the carpet out to dry.

:confused:

Meh.

·
Thread Killer
176 Posts
I am a new owner and don't have a sunroof, but I thought I would ad my experience with the 99 passat I had.

I realized I had a sunroof leak and that the drains were clogged so I just found the endings of the hoses and blew compressed air up them, about 40psi. Worked without issue but I did hear you can blow the tubes off and then you may have to remove the whole headliner to reattach them.

SIDENOTE for th OP- The Passat has CCM under the driver foot well and the TCM under the passenger. If the NB has it in the same spot, you may be in trouble. The problem is not evident right away, but the TCM/CCM get filled with water and starts to corrode. If yours had a pool as bad as you say, your CCM is full of water.

·
Got BOOST?
47 Posts
I cleared all 4 of the drains and tested with water. Seems everything is draining fine and there was no standing water. My dilemma is that both the passanger and driver side floor was soaked and it was under the floormats which I cant understand.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding this???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts