NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I listen to mostly metal and rock. Never any rap, so I don't need a ton of bass. A friend of mine has a Corvette with Kenwood's version of the Infinity Basslink in it, actually two of them. They are 8" speakers, and they sound great. I did hear an Infinity Basslink in a NB not too long ago and IMO it was better. I was thinking of getting two of those for the trunk since I never use it anyway. Getting a JVC head unit (http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027444&pathId=54&page=1) and replace the 4 speakers on the doors and back panels with Cerwin Vegas, as well as the two in the dash. Now, my guess is that the 4 larger speakers are 5.25" speakers, and the ones in the dash are 3", but I would like some verification on that.

No matter what size the ones in the dash, I ripped off the metal grill on the panel to see the speakers, and I then realized after inspection that they unscrew from the bottom...so I would have to take off the dash to replace them. I know that I can't just replace the speakers since it's a Monsoon system, and that I have to replace everything or nothing at all...which sucks because I would love to be able to just replace the speakers and not the head unit as well, but whatever. I am curious as to what you guys have done as far as replacing anything on a Monsoon system. Also, people with the Basslinks, what is your opinion on them? Are you happy with it? How long have you had it? Etc. Thanks.

~006

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
OK, here goes. The door speakers and rear speakers are 6.75". The dash speakers are 3.5" and 1", thereby making the front a 3-way component setup. What I would do is upgrade the deck first (Alpine and Kenwood are personal favorites), and then listen to the factory setup. Many people report much clearer sound just from switching HUs. As for subwoofers, a Basslink is great, but for not much more, if you do some eBay searching, you can get what I have for under $400 (check my thread for specifics).

For speakers, I would reccomend a good 3-way speaker in the back, and for the front, Polk makes a 3-way setup (6.5", 3.5", 1") that works great, and will fit the factory locations nicely. For amps, Rockford Fosgate makes excellent amps, though last I checked, Crutchfield was running a special on an Infinity 5-channel amps on the cheap.

As for shopping for this stuff, you probably already know open-box is your friend if everything is there. I got my amp for $100 off because it was open and a trimpiece was damaged. Turns out the trimpiece wouldn't work with my install, so I lucked out. Knowledge is key, so shop around. :)

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
Definately dont skimp on the head unit. If your gonna go with higher-end speakers like Crewin-vega, Infinity, Polk, Kicker, JL, MB Quart, etc... You should definately consider the Best HU you can afford, then get the one above it :)
I dont really know how the "24-bit Resolution Burr-Brown 1-bit DAC" sounds. But if it's a real Burr-Brown, your golden, altho i'm still unclear about a "24-bit sounding" 1-bit dac, thats really odd. You just cant compare anyhting to a 24-bit dac. Although you need some really serious speakers to take advantage of hte fuller sound of a 24-bit dac.

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
INMO if you have the monsoon KEEP IT and change all the speakers for a GOOD brand, infinity, Polk, JBL and Such and add the Basslink, it has power to startle and to make you dizzy (the shock & awe factor).

It is small and can be controlled via a remote control (they are hard to get by because they have been out of production for over a year, but I found mine and I am soo happy.

here are some pics

Attachments

·
College Student..WOOT!
104 Posts
The head unit you picked should work fine...I have the model just below that one in my beetle. It works well with my 3 JL 12s, JL amp and component speakers. Plus you can change colors to suit your mood and upload pictures to make your own slideshows. Only thing I didnt like about it was how you go to your presets...you have to go thru a menu to get to them. I hope that helps some :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I know the head unit is great. I have been working part time at Mother's here in San Antonio installing alarms and a few stereos. Kind of a fun job to learn some new things. We sell that JVC head unit and it's been nothing but fantastic in every vehicle we've put it in. Right now I'm in between buying a motorcycle or doing a whole new system in my car. Hehe. Latah.

~006

·
CRAZ4VW
520 Posts
A word to the wise. There are very few speakers that will actually just bolt right in, in place of the factory speakers. I know, I replaced my factory speakers with 3-way JL Audio components in front and 2-way JL Audio coaxials in the rear (along with a JL Audio 10w7 sub in the trunk). Also, don't go too crazy on the rear speakers, they're only there for fill and you don't really want to "hear" them over the fronts at all.

·
<--Not a self portrait.
19 Posts
The Cheat said:
OK, here goes. The door speakers and rear speakers are 6.75". The dash speakers are 3.5" and 1", thereby making the front a 3-way component setup. What I would do is upgrade the deck first (Alpine and Kenwood are personal favorites), and then listen to the factory setup. Many people report much clearer sound just from switching HUs. As for subwoofers, a Basslink is great, but for not much more, if you do some eBay searching, you can get what I have for under $400 (check my thread for specifics).

For speakers, I would reccomend a good 3-way speaker in the back, and for the front, Polk makes a 3-way setup (6.5", 3.5", 1") that works great, and will fit the factory locations nicely. For amps, Rockford Fosgate makes excellent amps, though last I checked, Crutchfield was running a special on an Infinity 5-channel amps on the cheap.

As for shopping for this stuff, you probably already know open-box is your friend if everything is there. I got my amp for $100 off because it was open and a trimpiece was damaged. Turns out the trimpiece wouldn't work with my install, so I lucked out. Knowledge is key, so shop around. :)
Do you know the model number of the Polk 3-way setup? I tried searching their site but could not find anything.

·
Audiophile
74 Posts
what's your budget?

honestly, while the basslink and basstubes are a good concept they rarley sound good in comparison to properly installed (install is one of the most important things in a stereo setup, i'd say its just as important if not more then the components you use. it can make or break a system) setups in the same pricerange. Also as mentioned before go easy with your rear fill, power it off hu power. or dont even use it if dont feel you really need to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts