NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, folks - I pulled a good one this morning. I was trying to teach my daughter how to change the oil in her 99 NB, 2.0L w/an automatic. Turns out I drained the trans, then double filled the engine with synthetic oil! WAY TO GO TEACH!!
Now I need some info. How much trans-fluid does it hold? What kind of fluid does it take? Is there an easy way to fill it?
It looks like I could run a 1/2" tube down from the engine compartment and just stick it in the "fill hole", but I would really like to hear from someone that has re-filled one before.

Thanks1

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
an exhaustive guise to all you need to know is here:
http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed/Campingart/jettatech/01m.pdf
and don't worry that it says TDI, the 4-speed automatic is the same transmission no matter what engine it's bolted to.

but you will need a vag-com cable to check the level to make sure it's topped off fully.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE - Just wanted to send out a huge THANKS to Toad! The info really helped. We didn't go through the entire procedure, that's a little more than I want to do in my gravel driveway.
We got her level and put about 2.5L of new tranny fluid in, drained the oil pan for the engine, filled it back up, and everything works like a charm. In fact, it is shifting better now that it was before my gaff. :D

Now on to the breaks & rotors...

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
UPDATE - Just wanted to send out a huge THANKS to Toad! The info really helped. We didn't go through the entire procedure, that's a little more than I want to do in my gravel driveway.
We got her level and put about 2.5L of new tranny fluid in, drained the oil pan for the engine, filled it back up, and everything works like a charm. In fact, it is shifting better now that it was before my gaff. :D

Now on to the breaks & rotors...
Careful not to mistakenly unbolt the shocks and struts...
(Tip) The brakes and rotors are hidden beneath the tires and wheels...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts