NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of people, myself included, are trying to add power to their 2.0L's.

I got mine as a 2.0L because I was 17 when I bought my car, and I couldn't afford the insurance that a Turbo would've cost me (twice as much, apparently because teens and Turbo cars do not mix).

Anyway, that's my stupid reason, what's yours? :p

SMG

·
Bug Less
3,754 Posts
Well for me , when i got my first Bug , I originally wanted a TDI , but needing a car i settled for the 2.0L figured it was cheap on insurance as well LOL . then when i traded up for a NBC, I figured why not stick with the 2.0L I had lots of good luck with my old one , never had one problem out of the lil guy, and the fact now that I can run CHEAP grade gas and save a few pennies :lol:

·
OrangeLessTop
12 Posts
It's reliable and I consider the NBC a cruiser. (Insurance to let a teen drive a turbo is more expensive as well) Enough power to drive safely, but not enough to get into trouble ;)

·
22 Posts
there werent many options for 98' beetles, it was pretty much 2.0s and i think they had some tdi's but i'm not sure. My parents bought the bug when they were first coming out and then eventually passed it down to me. 8 years later and its still running great! but it definitely makes me want a supercharger.:eek:

·
It's a shot glass!
1,530 Posts
SMG said:
I want trouble! I want it so badly!!! :mad:

I'm supercharging this in the spring if I have the funds..

SMG
Supercharging would be nice.... don't know about forking $2000.00 + for one right now.

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
because i didn't know there was better. knowing is half the battle. G.I. Joe!!

turbo-s is the fast4r.

jd

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
I got a 2.0 cuz i didn't want a diesel (after the experience of an peugeot 505 diesel, and a benz 300d, i wanted a change), and the turbos were too much, and i don't want to shell out for 91 or 93 octane anyways.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
When I bought the Beetle in July 2001, I didn't know anything about the 3 engine options. I knew there was a Turbo and we test drove a used one at the Honda dealership, but then someone told me it required timing belt changes every 40K miles (which is untrue.. apparently they were taking about early TDI models). So I was looking for a 1-3 year old Beetle with low miles and a low price... when I found that (at a Pontiac dealership no less) we bought it.

With 20/20 hindsight, I regret not knowing about the TDI option... in fact, if we ever trade/sell this car it will be for a TDI.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also didn't know about how good the TDI was..

I heard they had no power, stupid advice..

Anyway, I plan on making the most of this car, I love it to death and I'll never part with it.

Don't be surprised to be driving down the highway one day in 10 years or so, and see a green blur go by..

That'll be me, my car, and my dream VR6 swap.. drool..

SMG

·
crank it up, suckers!
5,596 Posts
The turbos were just about to come out when I got my Bug, and I was paying more than enough for my 2.0, not wanting to fork over a few thousand more for upgrades.

As for the TDI, I was dumb. I remembered a couple of times when I was in school that our diesel powered busses wouldn't start because it was so cold out. I didn't want that to ever happen to my car.

Like I said, dumb.

·
Registered
98 Posts
originally i was looking for a tdi, but there was no one close to where i lived that work on them so i was afraid it it broke down i'd have to pay to get it towed. i was looking for a turbo but then i saw the beetle i have and liked it too much to pass it up.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
NBs weren't very available at the time... dad said we didn't "need" the 1.8T, and turned down the TDI. So 2.0L it was. Not disappointed... but hey, we have all three now. :D

-Des

·
Premium Member
355 Posts

In 1999 I bought my 1st New Beetle 2.0 GLX.
The 1.8T was not an engine option at that time.
The engine wheezed a bit when climbing my mountain to home.
( The town of Freeland is the highest elevation community in PA)
In 2000, I traded in my '99 GLS for a 1.8T GLX.
Now in '05, I have 31,000 miles on my 1.8T GLS.
The turbo engine is far superior to the 2.0.
Too bad VW does not intend to put the 2.0T in the New Beetle.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
i bought a 2.0 'cause i didn't know about the TDI! also, i really didn't have a choice as far as engines go; there were so few beetles in my area for sale and i was under a time crunch, so 2.0 it is! i don't know that i'd want a turbo, really. oddly enough, the 2.0 is fast enough for me! if i had a choice, i'd go with a TDI though, due to gas prices though.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Hi,

When I Went looking for My New Beetle I Test drove a turbo 5 speed, an 2.0 5 speed. and then I Test drove my 2.0 auto.

I think I liked they way it drove and my Daughter will be driving in two years and I thought the Auto would be better for her to learn to drive in. another factor was my 2.0 was a local one owner car, and I Wanted a Black one.:)
John K.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts