NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states.

From my readings of the Bible I thought Jesus taught not to judge others...how come all I see is Christians judge others?:confused:

(I guess I am in one of my moods - and finally something snapped and I had to ask)

·
Premium Member
6,138 Posts
Careful not to stereotype. Not all Christians are that way, such as myself. I feel I'm a lot more open minded than a lot of other Christians - but that's probably because I wasn't really brought up with the church.

Based on what I've heard, Christians feel that Catholicism (or more specifically, Christianity) is the "correct" religion. It's our job to convince people that they should convert because we are right, they are wrong. I'm putting this extremely bluntly, but why sugarcoat it?

I've asked the same question a lot. I know it's horribly irritating and frustrating to see people judge others and shouting out what's right and wrong. I'll show this thread to Greg, he's had a lot more education on Christianty than I have and will probably give you a much better answer.

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most of the Evangelicals....(Falwell) - make a living of judging others and condemning them.

I was always taught "Love one another" - why has religion swung to be so bitter and hateful over time?

·
Goon Squad Atheist
1,698 Posts
It's not just christians. Many organized religions teach the supremacy of their particular sect.

·
Aphid is FUN!
1,747 Posts
how come all I see is Christians judge others?
People often overlook things that are not consistant with what they already know to be true. ;) In all seriousness, GINA nailed it.:D
GINA said:
Careful not to stereotype. Not all Christians are that way...
:clap: Bravo for the definitive answer!

I cannot speak for other Christians, but as a member of a Disciples of Christ Church, we focus on our relationship with God and our mission of service to all people in Jesus Christ's name. We share the word with people who are interested, but we're not real big on evangelism, proselytizing, or judging other peoples' actions.

If you take the time to visit one of our congregations, you'll understand. :angel:

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Then why would a christian tell someone else something condemning when that person didn't ask for their opinion?:confused:

Does it make them feel pious or mighty or something to demean someone with different views?

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Cause they're people. Flawed as any others. Religion seems to make people look at themselves, see the 'flaws' (the flaws vary from religion to religion) and try correct them.

This looking for flaws doesn't always stop w/the self, as it should. And it probably doesn't help that most major religions have a method of propogating, generally people reaching out and 'helping' the lost. See how tricky that was? They're not demeaning the other person, they're 'helping' to see the err of their ways.

Yeah, it's important not to stereo type. But really I don't think it's just christianity either. Isn't Islam the same way? Maybe a little more hard-core "its wrong, that's all there is to it, don't question it, accept it and believe it for it is wrong"

·
Aphid is FUN!
1,747 Posts
marvins_dad said:
Doesn't it seem really demeaning for someone to approach you and say "hey - I don't think you are doing this right...you are bad because you think this?"
It could be demeaning, it could be a sincere attempt to help another human being. A lot depends on how it is offered and how the person decides to recieve it.

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Judge not, lest you be not judged.
For with what judgment you judge,
You shall be judged:
Why criticize the splinter that is in your sister's eye,
But consider not the log that is in your own eye?
Or how wilt thou say to your sister,
"Let me pull out the splinter out of your eye;"
And, behold, a log is in your own eye?
Oh hypocrite, first cast out the splinter out of your own eye;
And then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the log out of your sister's eye.
Give not that which is holy to the dogs, neither cast you your pearls before swine,
Lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.
...and if I don't ask for your opinion...don't give it to me...:p

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
To be honest, I think this is more of a psychological defense mechanism than it is a religious issue.

Lots of people take this approach. It's how they deal with their own inner problems. Quite often, when someone feels there is something in themselves that they have trouble improving on, they can make themselves feel better by laying judgement on others.

It's their way of saying, "Hey, I may have problems, but here's what's wrong with you." It makes them feel like they aren't so bad.

It's really just a way for people to deal with their own insecurities. It's just sad they do so in the name of religion. :(

·
Aphid is FUN!
1,747 Posts
marvins_dad said:
...and if I don't ask for your opinion...don't give it to me...:p
But, but, but...isn't that what the internet is all about? :D

If you read the Matthew 7 passage quoted, you'll understand the condition, "Judge not, lest you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, You shall be judged:" Many people are willing to accept judgement because they believe they are working on their own splinter, and in that case, they take verse 5 seriously "first cast out the splinter out of your own eye;And then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the log out of your sister's eye".

Once they feel they've removed the 'splinter', they turn to Matthew 28 19"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess that is the fundamental problem...

Some people don't need saving and the mere suggestion that they "need" something is upsetting and demeaning. Can you see how pious and hollier-than-thou that appears?

·
Cherchez la coeur...
977 Posts
marvins_dad said:
Then why would a christian tell someone else something condemning when that person didn't ask for their opinion?:confused:

Does it make them feel pious or mighty or something to demean someone with different views?
Antoine,

I think there is a big difference between what people consider being a Christian to mean. Too many times people claiming that label seem to feel imbued with power and/or rights that aren't there.

To me, the essence of Christianity is very simple.
1. Believe that Jesus is the Son of God.
2. Believe in the Trinity as God in 3 persons.
3. Accept that you are imperfect, and that Jusus died for redemption of your sins.
4. Confess your sins to God, seeking forgiveness through genuine repentance.
5. Let others see, by your actions and words that you are trying to live your life as a Christian.
6. Tell others how Christ has changed your life, and what He can do for them.

Notice it doesn't mention condemnation of nonbelievers, judging others, confessing to priests, handling snakes, and the like.

Everything else flows from these ideas. Christians aren't perfect, and they regularly screw up like everyone else. God is always there to go back to for a new start. Walking around telling people they're going to hell if they don't follow X, Y, or Z brand of religion is a gross distortion of Christianity. Religion is man's attempt to reach God - Christianity is God's attempt to reach man. Dig the real difference.

I know others will disagree, but this is my take on the basics.

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mgwerks said:
Antoine,

I think there is a big difference between what people consider being a Christian to mean. Too many times people claiming that label seem to feel imbued with power and/or rights that aren't there.

To me, the essence of Christianity is very simple.
1. Believe that Jesus is the Son of God.
2. Believe in the Trinity as God in 3 persons.
3. Accept that you are imperfect, and that Jusus died for redemption of your sins.
4. Confess your sins to God, seeking forgiveness through genuine repentance.
5. Let others see, by your actions and words that you are trying to live your life as a Christian.
6. Tell others how Christ has changed your life, and what He can do for them.

Notice it doesn't mention condemnation of nonbelievers, judging others, confessing to priests, handling snakes, and the like.

Everything else flows from these ideas. Christians aren't perfect, and they regularly screw up like everyone else. God is always there to go back to for a new start. Walking around telling people they're going to hell if they don't follow X, Y, or Z brand of religion is a gross distortion of Christianity. Religion is man's attempt to reach God - Christianity is God's attempt to reach man. Dig the real difference.

I know others will disagree, but this is my take on the basics.
That sounds like a good basis.
It tolerates others beliefs.

·
Cherchez la coeur...
977 Posts
marvins_dad said:
I guess that is the fundamental problem...

Some people don't need saving and the mere suggestion that they "need" something is upsetting and demeaning. Can you see how pious and hollier-than-thou that appears?
The problem is simple. As CX points out above,
Matthew 28:19 says, "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit." This is a directive from Jesus to spread his message to the world. So, a follower of Christ would know that the Bible teaches that all people are sinners in God's eyes, including Christians, and that accepting God's gift of the sacrifice of his Son is the only way to counteract it.

A Christian that approaaches you wanting to share this good news shouldn't be judgemental, but should be doing so out of a genuine concern for your soul. If they be harsh, confrontational, upsetting, demeaning, or belittling, they need to rethink their position.

·
Cherchez la coeur...
977 Posts
marvins_dad said:
That sounds like a good basis.
It tolerates others beliefs.
Of course. But, toleration and approval are different things. You are commanded to love everyone, but that doen't necessarily mean everything they are or do. It's really a "love the sinner, hate the sin" attitude that so many have missed the boat on. Sadly.

[random other-post reference]
(OBTW - I just KNEW you of all people would post the beetleball pic in the other thread - have you seen his whole series?)
[/random other-post reference]

·
5/23/10 <3
10,974 Posts
I think this is a very touchy, but good subject to bring up. I must say that I feel much the same as Marvin's Dad.

I was not brought up religiously. I have no religion that I follow. I'm agnostic if anything. I only went to church with friends because I had to...not because I believed it. I lived in MD where religion isn't emphasized so much. Now, I'm in the bible belt of NC. Its a whole different attitude down here. I feel like that because I'm not religious and don't go to church, that I am judged for being so by those around me who are religious. I get put down because of my non-religious views. I have been told by a close friend that I was in need of saving and was going to hell because I wasn't religious. It hurts a lot. I try to live my life the best that I can based on my own beliefs.

My belief is that, if you don't want me to judge you, don't judge me. Simple as that. Get to know me before you go saying I'm a horrible person or "in need of saving". And also, if you are going to put your beliefs on me, be prepared to hear mine in return. So many religious folk (and I'm not just referring to Christians) seem to believe that they can try to convert you all day long and force their beliefs upon you...but as soon as you try to explain yourself, you are pushed away. Its really not fair.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts