NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Bug me again!
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been experiencing a small (500ml/month) drip from the cooling system. I just kept it filled correctly, and put off going to the stealership. I went there yesterday and the financial poop really hit the fan. They told me it's the worst case scernario I've been dreading and the whole radiator has to be replaced to the tune of $800 CDN. However, I did not personally see a hole in it, even though they showed me the underside. There was a lot more dried and crusty coolant under the car than I would have expected from the small drip. Question: if they didn't pressure-test the system, how could they know it's the rad and not one of the coolant lines? :confused: I assume whatever hole there is is really small and hard to find visually. I'm getting the feeling that they suggested the expensive replacement because they thought I wouldn't know better (26-year-old female). Any insight, suggestions or comiserations would be very welcome.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I've found VW dealerships very unreliable. From my experience, throwing parts at the problem until it's fixed is a fairly normal occurance.

I would specifically request they pressure test the radiator and prove to you that this is indeed the fault part, PRIOR to getting it replaced.

(and on top of that, I wouldn't have the dealership do the work) I've had the radiator off the car before, it's not REALLY that complicated. Any shop should be able to handle it. and you could probably get the parts cheaper. It DOES include removing the front bumper, the fenders and such, so yeah, there's still a bit of labor in there.

But yes, just because they saw alot of gunk on the bottom of the radiator does not necessarily mean they found the source of the leak.

·
Bug me again!
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ladybug's all better

The radiator job has been just completed tonight. I'm extatic! Stealership wanted $800 to replace it.:crazy: In the end I found a young mechanic whose dad works with me, and he did it while I was at work. Not only that, he picked the car up and dropped it off later. His dad came along to give him a lift. What great, great guys. Not only that, he also replaced the serpentine belt and the whole thing cost me $460! I am just full of gratitude and goodwill for mankind tonight.:heart: :angel: Though that will change on the drive home in the upcoming blizzard:(
Thanks for the words of encouragement, noR.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
I guess it really was the radiator then.

Dealers are an easy target, some are better than others but there are some honest ones out there. Independents can be just as dishonest or incompetent. Key is to find someone [dealer or independent] you can trust.

Glad it worked out for you.

-jeffrey

1 - 4 of 4 Posts