NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I have a 2002 turbo(s), and for some crazy reason. the car is dying while driving around town. mostly when comming to a stop, then starting again,then shifting into 2nd.or 3rd. then just shuts off:confused: . no CEL's lighting up... any of you guy's or gal's have any ideas, on what the crap is going on? just to add this is not every time I stop , then start again. but it is happening quite often the past couple days....

thanks in advance,
chris

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
It is strange that no CEL is illuminating. However, it may still be throwing a code. I would start by scanning it with a VAG-COM to be sure.

Some things that could cause it to die:

1. bad engine RPM sensor (intermittant failure) - this is also called a crankshaft position sensor on some cars
2. dirty throttle body (easy fix - just clean it)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do the volkswagen dealership have the vag-com ? the reason I ask. is that I just got my car back the other day. I took it in for a CEL, and they scaned my car, and changed the cat cvt., and both o2 sensors. but, this dying issue, is still there...but I don't really know if the have a vagcom or not..living here in knoxville,tn. I am not sure who would have one. There is a shop down the street from my house , and they have one. I am pretty sure. they build and race cars on the grand am circuit.

I will take the maf, and throttle body off, and clean it up, then see what happens. but,I will have to wait until monday to go to LNS motorsports... thanks for the help..

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
All VW dealerships have the VAG-COM (the really expensive factory version). What I use is the VAG-COM software from www.ross-tech.com. If you're going to keep the car for a while, it would be worth the money to get it and the cable to pull codes yourself. If the shop you refer to does VW repairs specifically, they should have a VAG-COM, otherwise they're just guessing when they try to diagnose problems with newer VW's.

I would also do a search on the Old Forums... there was lots of discussion about the 1.8T's dying for no apparent reason. You might get some other ideas there.

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
try grounds.. my car used to do that all the time

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
uf_gators said:
also , would the distributor have anything to do with this stalling/ dying issue ?
Your car doesn't have a distributor - it has individual coil packs on each spark plug. It's possible one of those is bad and would cause the car to die - but it would probably throw a CEL.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok. well, I dropped of my daughter at school this morning,and I went by the vw place. as soon as I turned to go down their street, my car did it again, but this time it was like barely running,like limping. so I limped it into the svc dept.

when I started it up, it flashed a cel,and,epc at the same time, then went away... man this is freaking screwy...:(

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Make them give you a print out of the code(s) and then post them here - to help others :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went by to check on my car, and it is sitting in the bay area. I talked to the svc. guy, and they scaned the car, and no codes are comming up. he said that they have been driving it around for about an hour, and nothing it happening. but dude seen my car this morning when I brought it in, and how rough it was idling.. man , I tell you this is freaking driving me crazy. well I will post an update ,when I here something..

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update :

I just got off the phone with vw svc. dept. ,and they are talking with vw america tech dept. my car is not pulling codes ,and for some reason.they are resetting on their own. they have 2 things that most likely is the problem. (1) being a relay some where,(2) wiring harness.

before I got my car. they pulled up the history, and the 2 o2 sensors have already been changed, and the cat. now remember my car only has 44,800 miles as of now.. so for some reason,it is throwing codes for the cat,o2 sensors ,and water pump. in the past 3 weeks. they have been changed again,so I have a new cat, o2 sensors, and water pump. now there is no codes being listed,and the cel and epc flashed up earlier this morning. but when they scaned it. no codes were listed :confused: .they are going to keep my car a day or 2 ,to see if anything changes, or happens. so I guess, I will have to wait and see...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well ,I got my car back today. vw has changed my power voltage relay. so hopefully this will fix,the issues. they told me to drive it around a week or so, and if problem cont. they will change the wiring harness...per vw of america... will see. I will post an update later ...

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
I was starting to think maybe fuel pump relay intermittantly going out...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well the voltage power relay is not the fix. I spoke to vw today ,and I am scheduled for monday to do the wiring harness. I guess is their next step. I tell you, this is so fustrating:mad: . I have had this car almost a month, and all this crap is going on....at 44,900 miles on the beetle. has anyone had so much problems in such short time of buy a car ?

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
It's a used car w/40K. ANYTHING can happen w/a used car.

That doesn't maken it better. But yes, when people don't keep up with their car, that's what happens. That's probably the exact same reason why they traded it in in the first place.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
netnet said:
my bug had the same problem
the fix for mine was the wiring harness

:)

Good Luck!
What was the problem with the harness? Corrosion?

·
Got Mickey?
146 Posts
Porkchop said:

I'm not sure
:(

sorry

I was lucky and they covered it under my VW factory extended warranty - the VW Rep. didn't care about my mods (lucky me)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Porkchop said:
this brings me to ask this... could my problems have anything to do with the ecu ??? cause when the car goes from running just fine , to like its shutting off, but it is still running, but pressing the gas pedal,it just barely moves. then turn the car off. then turn the car back on, everything is back to normal. like nothing ever happen. but in this whole process the epc & check engine lights light up, then go away.
then when the car is scaned at vw. nothing comes up wrong. it is like the ecu is resetting every time this happens,when I shut the car off,and restart it...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts