VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fiancéas 2002 vw beetle was running rough after she checked the oil. Realized oil tube had broke and wire hooked to tube had come loose. Fixed wire and tube. Check engine light was on. Me being new to vw and having been a dodge or Chevy man all my life make the mistake of taking battery cable loose to reset everything. Well it didn't work. Now car turns over without cranking. Any ideas what is wrong?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I Had read where the key or the epc would have to be reprogrammed by the dealer. Anyone else had to have this done?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
Unless its starting and then shutting off again, its not a key problem.

Have you scanned for codes?

·
Imbugd - 99 1.8t
114 Posts
well if it was running rough it wasn't directly due to the oil tube, and disconnecting the battery really doesn't do anything bad despite the warnings in the manuals. I've had my battery removed, go dead countless times in 4 beetles.

Likely it was running rough and had the check light on and it just tipped over the edge. Best thing would be to get a vag com, or a generic code reader and read the codes out of it. If she likes the car just spring for the vagcom. You'll save money and hassle over trying to sub something else and constantly work around not having it.

2002, could be PCV got plugged and blew out your oil tube. If so thats the lucky version, various gaskets and seals can blow otherwise. That wouldn't stop the motor from starting though. Check the basics like the MAF sensor. Without reading the codes though its a guessing game.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. What kind of vag com is good to get for the best price? Will a basic hand held one be right or get a cable with software to hook into my laptop?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
Any auto parts store will read codes for free. I'd start there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts