NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following a thread on the Collective the other day, I'm still awaiting for a reply from Volkswagen. A March 7th article on a website known as leftlanenews.com began with an announcement that VW was dropping the Polo 3-door hatch back, which we don't get to begin with. It may come as a surprise to some of you out there, but VWAG has 310 different models of vehicles worldwide! Understandably, they want to trim this down when the upcoming MQB platform is expanded, and besides, some models just don't sell well, such as the soon-to-be-departed Eos. With that said, a VERY disturbing feature of this particular article was that it was hinted that the Beetle may get the axe at the end of its current production run, which will likely be around the end of this decade. It's not my intention to beat a dead horse here as this was discussed spiritedly on another Collective thread a couple of days ago, but I thought I'd let everyone know I'm trying to get an answer from VW Corporate myself. So far, no E-mail response......I tried a chat with a rep, but in typical fashion, the person knew nothing about this and gave the standard reply: "At this time, there are no plans to drop the Beetle." But what about 5 years from now??????

·
Registered
488 Posts
I think that the beetle is VW. To get rid of it would be like saying they want to be Honda. It would be highly debated within the corporate folks. The last time they pulled that stunt the well knew internally that the Bug was redesigned. This was DIRECTLY to counter the public opinion that the New Beetle had become known as a "girl car"". I like the classic New Beetle and never though of it that way. I waited for VW to put the VR in it and they didn't and still haven't. They don't get serious over the Beetle when it should be the cornerstone. That's my opinion. Will they kill it? Do they have plans to? I don't know and as anything , if no one buys them they can't make them. Follow the money, if sales are down then the ax looms closer. What are the current figures?

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Future Plans

I can't tell you what I'm having for dinner let alone any plans 5 years away.

This is purely a business decision for Volkswagen. If the Beetle doesn't sell well they will drop it. Period, End of story. If you owned a bakery that made turnip peach brownies and you sold just a couple a week compared to other items in your case you would stop making them.

I hope the Beetle stays around for a long time. In the 50's there weren't many choices for a small, reasonable priced car. Now there are hundreds to choose from. If the Beetle goes I will miss it. But if that decision is 5 years or more away I won't loose sleep over it.

Blame it on the Japanese. We have used atomic weapons on them twice and they have survived and taken over the small car world. What sort of illogical mutation of nature is that?

Kinda sounds like the plot to a great Godzilla movie!

Chuckie

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I enjoyed your post, Chuck, and it's spot-on to boot. The difference is that I'm so obsessed that I suspect I WILL lose sleep over this. That's one reason I follow sales numbers like the Gospel and freak out every time they have a bad showing for a month. Corny as it may sound, and to get an idea of my obsession, I don't know what I'd do if this were to happen again. I've become spoiled by the vast difference between the water-Beetle crowd and the rest of the VW scene and question whether a 60-something guy like me in the 2020s would even fit in with a Bone-stock Passat or Jetta.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glass buggy; The current sales numbers aren't great. In the re-skinned Beetle's first year, 29K were sold here in 2012. This jumped to 43K in 2013 and fell back to 29K in 2014. For 2015 so far, they're down another 30% from 2014's pace. In other words, it has already peaked and like any model that further ages, will continue to drop. If it drops as bad as the Eos did, it could be adios at the end of this production cycle. :( I understand that from a business sense, but it still blows me away how a direct competitor like Mini Cooper is so successful while modern Beetles just haven't taken off. :confused:

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Maybe if all the New Beetle owners traded in their cars for the current models we could boost their sales. I don't know any Nissan or Toyota owners who are as fanatical about 10+ year old cars.

Could it be that devotion to older vehicles is partly to blame for this? Not trying to piss anyone off here.

Maybe we should all do our part to help out VW Beetle sales? If everyone traded in their vehicles every 5-7 years this would not be an issue.

Chuckie

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's kind of a paradox, because loving a 10-year-old car says something about its durability, which I'd think would be a selling point for newer versions of the same model. Reading responses to this from non-Orgers has been interesting and also makes me wonder if my theories about the air-cooled crowd aren't in fact way off after all, as I've been told by a few..... I've been trying to blame them for the water Beetle's failure to score as significantly, but now I can see somewhat where they're coming from: you're absolutely right about a helluva lot more competition now, and the current Beetles are clearly not the People's Cars that the Type 1's were in terms of ease or price. Now that's probably something like a Toyota Yaris or a Hyundai Accent.

I'm in a state of intense limbo at the moment. I don't know what to think or even if the Org events are in my plans anymore. :(

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Why?

Why would your plans change? Why would you do anything different?

The Org isn't about the cars. Sure we talk about and learn how to repair them here, but it's the people who make it what it is. We all suffer from the same chronic obsession. We love our cars and generally like other people who feel the same way.

If for whatever reason VW decides to whack the Beetle line again the fact we love our cars won't change. If anything, I am a little jealous of the air breathers for the way they have kept the faith and stayed together all these years. Most aircooled meets have far more participants than water beetle meet ups.

Just chill out and ride the wave. If VW makes the announcement, so be it. Maybe grab a Beetle to insure you have a dependable ride 15 more years from now. Just don't let little stuff like this get you all stirred up. It's not good for you.

Worry about other stuff like how you are going to beat my Hot Wheels car filled with depleted uranium in Roswell!

Chuckie

·
Registered
488 Posts
I am an anomaly , I'm an air cooled guy but love my new beetles. When they came out there was an acceptance of them in the magazines and many turned up at the VW shows. They have dwindled and have long been excluded from the magazines - of all car magazines to my knowledge. The New Beetle doesn't even really fit in with the water cooled VW group events sadly. I don't know the solution, I can't afford a new model to help the numbers. I'll have to wait a ton of years again to get my hands on one. I think the answer is in VW's being serious about fixing the newer version, starting with what the heck do you call it? The New New Beetle, the Newer New Beetle. I read a review of the 2016? Model a month or so ago and I don't remember the publication but you need to read it. VW gave them a bland base demo Beetle to test, who does this? It made a very eye opening point of why the car isn't as appealing as other types in the " Hot Hatch" category ( I don't know who made that moniker ) anyway that article is a must read

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I too am an anomaly because I constantly try to look at the future of whatever car I'm into. The only thing worse than a favorite model getting the axe would be an entire brand disappearing, (Such as Saturn, Mercury, Pontiac, Packard, MG, etc). It's a psychological thing with me, because I want to know that GTGs like Roswell, ToD, Talimena, etc, will still be happening not only when I'm 80 years old but among people that come after us long after we're doing the dirt nap. Yes, the air-cooled shows are plentiful and huge, but that's because 21.5 million a/c Bugs were built and there's such a strong aftermarket presence that one can still find a rusty shell in a weed patch and get enough parts to literally build a brand "New" a/c Beetle from scratch. Our cars, on the other hand, are viewed by the general public as nothing more significant than a Here Today, Gone Tomorrow car like a Ford Tempo or a Dodge Neon. I look at NBs/12+ Beetles as a continuation of an icon, but very few share my sentiment, and the aftermarket reflects that. VW just looks at sales success, like your turnip peach brownie analogy. I'm pissed because I've e-mailed them twice about this and have yet to get a response. I'll probably try the live chat again, but with my luck, I'll get the same chick that probably doesn't even know there was a New Beetle before this one.

Anyway, as a result,if the 2nd Beetle execution becomes reality, I envision our Org events likewise dwindling down to nothing over the next 3-4 years until they're just a memory. The friends are for life, but to continue getting together, especially when we're hundreds of miles apart, we'd eventually have to either settle for all-VW shows with our safe-from-the ax Jettas, GTIs, or Passats, or jump ship to something like a Mini Cooper. I'm just odd, I guess: The reason I bought another a/c Beetle back in 2003 for my all-VW club here is because VW was making new versions of them and I thought that ALL Beetle people, Old and New , would come together. At the same time, I'd never own a long-dead VW like a Corrado or Fox, but if I could get my hands on someting like a late 70s Dasher, I would, because they still make Passats today, if that makes sense. The Beetle will always be VW's defining symbol, but for whatever reasons, the NBs and now the current Beetles just don't rekindle that nostalgia among John Q Public. On the other hand, production numbers of the Golf surpassed the Type 1 several years ago, and the longevity of that model, along with the Jetta and Passat have already surpassed the 1949-1979 run of the iconic Beetle.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Sadly we are from a by gone era where they made cars we could maintain and fix. Today it's as if they don't want you to fix a part of your car, you replace it at a higher cost. things become beyond economical repair and soon the whole car is passed along. The salvage yards around here are seeing a lot of 98-02 Beetles. This alarms me as I don't think the production number are as high for the Beetles 03 - 10. Craigslist is chock full of Newbe's too. A good part of this is due to timing belt disease and the costly brick a brack to keep the VW chugging along. VW seems not to want enthusiasts but rather buyers of new products so they can sell high price repairs to recent vehicles. Several years ago they hired some outfit to go after aftermarket suppliers for logo infringement and the like. It stifles advertising and is reducing Hot VW's to a much thinner magazine if you've noticed lately. I don't know what to make of it all

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I understand the old-style backyard mechanic missing cars that were easy by comparison to work on, but for someone like me, it wouldn't have made a difference, as I have no skills to even change a spark plug. As a result, water-cooled Beetles with today's technology, especially idiot lights (CELs) that inform me that something's not right, prompt me to make a date with the dealership. Yes, they are expensive and a lot more expensive than yesterday's Beetles, but as a former Type 1 owner, I don't miss having to have 2000 mile oil changes, constant valve and timing adjustments, constant points and rotors frying, no heat, etc, so a "New' Beetle was the perfect solution for me. I could have the car I loved and grew up with and with today's expected reliability and durability to boot. I would have thought that there'd be millions of others like me, too, but apparently not. The NB was one of the few cars that utilized the whole retro nostalgic theme, but it certainly didn't catch on like I thought. Other retro cars are gone now, too: the PT Cruiser, Ford Thunderbird, Chevy HHR, Plymouth Prowler, etc, and some non-Beetle respondents to these Axing articles are also predicting that the current fads with the Fiat 500 and Mini Coopers will also fade away in time. They could be right, too....Out of curiosity, I looked at some Mini sites with Cooper-club-specfic sites, and noticed that some hadn't been active for 3-4 years. I suppose from the POV of the suits over in Wolfsburg, people want sedans, SUVs, and crossovers, and there's only room for a few small hatchbacks, and right now especially, VW is focusing on the Golf and its variants to fill that void, and the Golf already surpassed the Type 1's 21.5 million production number about 10 years ago. I think they're up in the low 30s now, so maybe VW now views the Golf as their symbol. And indeed,if you look at a 1975 Rabbit parked next to a 2015 Golf, you can still tell it's the same car 40 years later.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Say it isn't so!

I love the Beetle. The nem body style is awesom! I would be very unhappy if they stop making it again.

I am planning on replacing my 2013 with a new 2015. If it's getting the axe I would probably keep the 2013 and buy a cayman. Please don't give it the axe.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No further orders for the UK Beetle from May 3 2016 - shame they did not tell the dealers as I was ready to order .

The rumour is of a new version in July .

Does anyone know any different ?

As it is , a dealer has found me an acceptable compromise 1.2 TSI in Platinum with 18" Twisters , which are a bit OTT for a near 70 year old , but with VW offering £3000 contribution to stock cars and a dealer £500 discount , it is more affordable for me .
It's quite minimalist and architectural in Grey and pays homage to the first Beetles .

I wanted a beige interior as the black is a bit claustrophobic , but I am evidently in the minority !!

Regards

dee

·
Notorious DOM
68 Posts
Glass buggy; The current sales numbers aren't great. In the re-skinned Beetle's first year, 29K were sold here in 2012. This jumped to 43K in 2013 and fell back to 29K in 2014. For 2015 so far, they're down another 30% from 2014's pace. In other words, it has already peaked and like any model that further ages, will continue to drop. If it drops as bad as the Eos did, it could be adios at the end of this production cycle. :( I understand that from a business sense, but it still blows me away how a direct competitor like Mini Cooper is so successful while modern Beetles just haven't taken off. :confused:
I'm gonna say that may be because, despite the Mini being substantially larger than the original, it's still pretty tiny. It's still a car in the spirit of the original. My oldest daughter had one and I almost bought one instead of the Beetle.

On the other hand, the New Beetle is not anywhere near the size of the original. I mean, I was floored when I found out it was as heavy as it is. I mean, my Grand Cherokee only outweighs it by maybe 700 pounds. I'd say that strays pretty far from the original.

Not sure how the New New Beetle stacks up to the original NB, but I don't care for the smashed-flat style of the newer ones.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts