NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

So I've had the stock Michelin 205/55/16 on my 2001 NB for 5 years now and they need to be replaced. Thanks to recommendations here, and on the old forum, I purchased 4 Avon Tech M550 A/S tires through Tire Rack, with a slightly different sizing of 225/50R/16, and took them to my mechanic this morning.

After looking at my current tires and looking over the car, they were very skeptical about the Avon tires ability to fit on my rims and in the wheel wells. They said they might scrape on the inside, during hard turns, and that they could cause other problems.

Now they didn't flat out say no to putting them on, but just weren't experienced enough with that size of tire replacing the stock tire. I was very worried at this point, and told them I'd do some more research on the matter.

Does anyone have experience with this problem? Will this size of tire be a problem for me?

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Funny you should ask...

My '00 NB has been running 225/50/VR16 Kumho Ecsta Supra 712s for over... oh, 50000 miles. I've never had any issues with the tires rubbing the wheel wells or anything of that sort.

I am running 16x7.5" wheels, though. The tires should fit okay on the stock rims.

-Des

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the 7.5" on your tires is the width of the tire, right? If my Avon's are wider, might I have issues?

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
I can't answer your question but you post a very good issue. Some of us, myself included are not only interested in wider tires but larger rims alltogether. As for me, i'm going with 17". good post! :bigthumb:

By the way, fill out your profile, please. You don't have to reveal the intimate details of your location and such. It would be nice to know what part of the globe your hollering from or thereabouts and what type of bug you're sporting.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Tire Rack states that the afforementioned Avons will fit on a rim width range of 6-8". So yes, they'll work. ;)

-Des

·
Registered
6 Posts
Err, 1.8T related?

Anyway! has anyone got picts of their 225's on the stock rims? Im curious how it looks..
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone, that's a big relief. Now I just need a good place to install them. Tire Rack seems to have reviews on those as well.

·
Keep It Real
1,734 Posts
A 225mm tire will fit on a 6" wide wheel physically but I wouldn't do it.

The absolute recommended wheel size for say a 225/40R18 is an 8" wheel, if you are equipped with the stock 6" wide wheel then a 205mm tire is as wide as you should go.

If you're looking to go wider, then you should consider going to a 17" or 18" x 7.5"/8" with a 225/45R17 or 225/40R18 in order to do this up size properly.

It's of course up to you though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts