NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Groovy 60s convrt lover
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone driven the 2013 Convertible with and without the wind blocker? I am considering getting one, but for $400 or more I'd like to know if it is effective and worth the money.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Can't say for a VW, but my wife has a 2005 BMW 330 convertible and we have a wind block for her car. Makes a huge difference in the air swirl that comes around the back of your head and causes her hair to fly all in her face. When it is a bit cooler out, it keeps the inside of the car warmer with less air circulating around her feet.

I know they are expensive, but if you drive with the top down above about 35 MPH a lot, especially at highway speeds they do make a big improvement as long as you do not need the rear seats.

Some of the wind defectors are expensive because they have to fold to fit in the trunk. Not sure if the Beetle deflector will fold to fit in the trunk?:D

One issue with the BMW wind deflector is it can fold back when driving, so most people modify them by drilling 2 small holes for hitch/hair pins to be installed so the vertical part of the deflector will not fold back when driving.

On the BMW you can raise and lower the top with the deflector installed and the vertical portion up.

I assume you could open and close the top on the Beetle with the deflector installed and the vertical portion up??

Not sure why this small detail is never fully explained, but it is important as I would not want to remove the deflector ever time I needed to put the top up.

·
Groovy 60s convrt lover
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, I had not thought about the issue of raising and lowering the top with the windblocker in place. I'll add that to my questions. From what I have read, the VW windblocker is designed to fit in some sort of pouch in the trunk lid so it doesn't take up much space in an already small trunk....but maybe that is because you do have to install and remove it every time. Hmmmmm....:confused:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I would assume you could easily raise and lower the top with the wind deflector in place?

The BMW is a bit different due to the top being fully hidden when down. The rear of the top opens forward to allow the storage cover to open, then the rear of the top drops back into the storage compartment, then to top opens.

So there was some concern that the rear of the top could hit the top of the wind deflector, but it clears it fine.

Just do not have any passengers in the back seat unless the are ducking down in the BMW. I clocked my kid in the head the first time I opened the top when they were sitting in the back seat!!

I am surprised BMW does not have some sort of rear seat occupancy detector in the convertible, they think of a lot of other safety features!

·
Registered
995 Posts
I cannot help you with info on the 2013 version, as mine is an '06.
I usually leave mine installed all the time unless I am going to be having people in the back seat, perhaps 10 - 15 times a year.
It definitely reduces wind blowing on the back of my neck, although when the temps are in the 70's to low 80's I often do not set it up as the wind feels nice. I also tend to wear a hat when I drive with the top down because the sun visors in my VW are one step above useless.

Using the wind stop can increase the number of days you can flip the lid, so to speak. On hot days, raise it and you have no hot wind on your neck. On hotter days, turn on the AC and enjoy both the sun and cool because with the wind stop in position, the air from the AC tends to stay in the front. On cool days, temp 60 to 66 or so, I can raise the wind stop and crank up the heat. Sometimes a sweatshirt helps.

Have you looked on eBay? I think the older wind stops can be found cheaper there, but I have no idea about the 2013s.
Whatever you do enjoy your vert.

·
Groovy 60s convrt lover
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input on the '06. :) I like to drive with my top down and rarely have rear seat passengers. I guess I will have to order one and see how it does as I am pretty sure the older ones won't fit in the '13. Your input and the media reviews are positive so I think it is worth taking the chance. I'll keep you posted.

·
Super Moderator
14,787 Posts
All that, plus you can hear the stereo, and talk normally to your passenger.

·
Groovy 60s convrt lover
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good News: It is ordered and should be here by the end of the week.:D
Bad news: It is supposed to be cold and raining then.:(
News: I'll review it for the 2013 convertible for those who might be interested.:)

·
1,255 Posts
One nice feature of the wind-blocker always installed during the convertible season, it keeps stuff from flying out of the back seat - hats, Walmart bags, McDonald's sacks, and etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts