NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I recently bought a wind deflector from eBay. Was miffed to say the least when it arrived and part of the mesh has come away from the frame. Seems to be a common problem with these but does anyone have any experiences with how to repair them ?
It doesn't really effect the performance of it but bugs the hell out of me and looks ugly.
Thanks !!:D

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Sorry, not sure too many on the forum have a wind deflector??

I do not have one for my Beetle, but have one for my BMW.

Usually the deflectors get torn or cut. The material is usually a fabric mesh and the deflector frame has a groove in one side that the fabric can be pushed into then some sort of plastic or rubber spine material is pushed in the groove to secure the fabric.

I believe the fabric should stretch a bit??

You may be able to pull the spine up and push the fabric back in the groove and then re-seat the spine??

The problem is usually when these screens are built, the fabric is a bit larger than the frame and the extra fabric is used to stretch and align the material on the frame?

You may also check ebay and/or interior shops in your area to see if there are any that can repair these types of wind deflectors.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply and advice. Being in England I definitely need one (our summers are usually atrocious!)
I am going to have a go at reinserting the mesh back into the frame myself.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Good luck and I hope you are can repair it.

You might even check ebay UK and see if there are any vendors that repair the mesh if you are not successful.

I know in the US there are ebay listers that repair side and rear shades and I think windscreens for higher end cars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Repair Wind Deflector VDub New Beetle

I know in the US there are ebay listers that repair side and rear shades and I think windscreens for higher end cars.
Two or three small tears in my deflector, flat side. Can live with it, but they irk me.

New or eBay = couple hundred bucks. Haven't found the listers you refer to above.

Anyone have current info on how to repair OR folks in California who can do it for a reasonable price?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts