NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Power Windows on my son’s 1999 VW Beetle seem to have a mind of their own.

On the driver's side, if he pulls the door apart and disconnects the window motor connector and reconnects it, the window will work fine for five or ten minutes. The same goes for disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. The window works for a short while after reconnection.

The passenger side works--but not from the driver side switch.

The driver side window goes up with some trouble, as if sticking, though the assembly looks fine. He has replaced the motor and the regulator. He is a capable and meticulous mechanic, but is stumped by the problem.

We thought maybe it was a fuse, there is not a fuse marked on the fuse panel specifically for the window motor, though there is something on the fuse block marked as door panel relay. A test light shows that having plenty of juice.

I have found a lot of frustration on the discussion forums about window problems on this model with most of the fixes costing $800.00, but then often recurring soon again after.

So, basically, we are stumped for what to do or check. The local dealer, of course, says we have to bring it in to get checked—implying we installed the motor wrong (which is virtually impossible).

My other son, on the other hand, has the same year and model that he bought for $300.00 with 100,000 more miles, and everything works fine. Go figure.

Is this something any of you think your reservoir of experience and knowledge could try and troubleshoot and give us a direction to move in?

Thanks for any advice!

JohnFitz

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
There have been a few people that have reported the "windows work for 10 minutes after connecting the battery" issue. The solution seems to be either the door controller or the wiring harness inside the door. See this thread and the links in it:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/108257-power-window-problem.html

Did you have the same issue before replacing the power window motor? If so, the wiring harness may be suspect. It is prone to damage in the area of the boot going from the door frame to the door. Also, be sure the replacement window motor has exactly the same part number that the old one did. The door controller that is part of it needs to be compatible with the car.

·
Keep It Real
1,746 Posts
You may want to check the condition of your comfort Convenience Control Module, this unit handles much of the interior electronics, it communicates with the ECU like most everything else in the car.

If you can gain access to a Ross-Tech scan tool or one like it, you can run a full automatic scan of all groups/channels in the ECU, this will allow you to expose any fault codes that have been set.

Note: With a Ross-Tech scan tool, interior fault codes will not be found in the main engine channel #1, they are located in - Central Convenience channel #46.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Off the top of my head, you might want to check the Door Lock Control Modules as they communicate with the CCM as well.

Regarding the Window's Mechanical components; it is advisable to use a window regulator kit, instead of just replacing individual components. Some regulator slide clamps are plastic on a metal rail; the metal rail cuts into the plastic slide and this can cause a binding issue.

Here are two occurrences that all my Beetles had, which was caused by the slide clamp binding on the slide rail; in my case the slides went up and down at an angle, slightly catty–cornered ...

1) ... if your window goes up a bit, stops, then goes down by itself all the way or just a bit and stops.
2) ... if you hold the button and the window inches up a little at time like it cannot go up any further.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts