NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a window issue in my 2000 Beetle. I've tollerated it for a year now, where sometimes it doesn't go down. Some days, it has no issue, other days it just won't budge. I've read the regulators are notorious for problems, but mine, when it works is PERFECTLY smooth.

Well, I finally found out what's really going on, but now I've got to figure out WHY.

When I put the window down half way today as I got off the highway (testing for my ability to stop at the drivethrough for coffee!) it moved down, where I left it 4" down or so as I drove into the parking lot. I went to put the window down all the way to go into the drivethrough.... and the window went UP! I let go, pushed it again, same thing!

So now, WHAT can cause this? Pushing down sent it UP, pushing up pushed it up! This doesn't happen all the time, so I'm quite curious where someone would start with this problem. My hunch is it's some dirty connections or something in either the wiring going TO the door or the window switch itself. Has anyone seen this before?

Another note -- When I open my drivers door the light most often does not come on. The car has no knowledge that I've even opened the door. If I unlock it from the fob, I can hop in the car, wait before putting the key in the iginition and it will relock the car.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Dave

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Door latch is the last half of your problem.

The door latches are FAMOUS problems on these cars. My 2003 convertible is on the 5th & 6th latch at the moment.

Replacing the latch may or may not resolve your window problem?

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
That's sad regarding the door latches. Youtube has a video of the fix for it, seems to boil down to something I know all to much about-cold solder joints on the board for the lock unit. (It's a very common problem on the arcade games I repair. Probably makes up 55% of the repairs.)

As for the windows? The switch itself is easy enough to test. Honestly it sounds more like a controller issue perhaps with the regulator.....Then again keep in mind if the door lock 'thinks' the key is being turned and held in either direction? The system will roll the window up or down.... I'd address the door latch first and see if that resolves it. It's really the lesser of the two headaches in my opinion.

Keep us posted!

S-

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The convertibles POUND the door latches to death.

Because the windows drop on the convertible and there is no weather stripping putting pressure on the glass when the doors are closed, you can actually close my doors with your pinky.

BUT, everyone that gets in the car treats the car like a full size pickup truck and puts all their weight into closing the door, which is TOTALLY not necessary.

The first set of door latches were replaced under warranty, the 2nd set, I put in about a year ago. Just did not want to screw around with them. I have repair more broken solder joints in everything from water heater controllers, HVAC equipment, computers, audio gear and everything you can think off, but I kept the last set in case I need to repair or part them out.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I jump all over the kids about slamming the doors.

Luckily I can reach over and use my hand to slow the door closing when they are getting out, but I cannot do much when the are getting in the car as they get very unhappy when I try to reach over in front of them when they are getting in the car.

Some people just DO NOT get it.

The convertible are MUCH harder on the latches than the non convertible due to no upper door gasket cushioning and the fact the top fabric can flex upward easily with any air pressure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts