VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 TDI.

Just yesterday my driver side window started making a noise going up and dowm. It sounds like someone walking on broken glass (the window is not broken). Is this the sound of the regulator going out?

· Registered
19,260 Posts
Yes, that possibility, sounds like the typical failure mode; a window regulator repair kit, from vw would be a solid fix for that.

Many times, eventually; the cable will fall off the window regular and get wrapped up, then sometimes falls into the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,115 Posts
I wouldn’t raise or lower that window till you get a chance to pull the door apart and look at it. The cable sounds like it’s getting wrapped around things it shouldn’t be. If you keep using it the window glass is likely to fall into the door which can make for a cold ride.

· Registered
35 Posts
I had the same problem. It was the regulator. The wire dropped down, got hung up and eventually broke. It was not that difficult to replace, but it did take some time. I think the hardest part was getting the door lock mechanism put back together correctly. I still don't have mine right. I suggest really paying attention to where the cables connect to the door handle and make sure you put them back exactly. Sorry, that advice isn't about the regular per se, but was the experience i had replacing it. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts