NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 99 NB 1.8, we just replaced the timing belts etc. took care of all of the motor issues and now working on the interior. I need to purchase a new window regulator for the passenger side door. It's actually missing! Also having trouble with the switches (broken gas tank button etc). Heated seats do not work. Where is the BEST place to purchase items for the Beetles? Found decent prices at partsgeek.com so far. Thanks in advance!

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
I do a lot of work with RockAuto dot com for all general repair items.

Never overlook the possible salvage yards in your area. I've had excellent luck with our pick'n pull yards. And I'm also good friends with the family that runs our local yard. Sure it's not a pick'n pull. But they have let me in the yard to pull my own parts several times. (So I get a "family" discount.)

S-

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
subscribing.
I need to check out partsGeek myself. the ECS price seems a bit to me. I will check out RockAuto also.

for me, I be kind of leery on using a salvage yard for window regulator... especially that the plastic elements are the cause for the failure itself. I would think that new regulator would be better in this case.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
14,080 Posts
Based upon what I have experienced; I would recommend getting genuine VW parts for the regulator. While this is a classic failure point; I do believe the genuine vw parts, last longer then the Chinese knocks offs (e.g. Dorman products).

The best deal; might be getting a used regulator assembly and a genuine vw repair kit.

Quite a few kits out there: again, you can go "cheap" non-oem vw, save money but in the long run, they won't last and you will probably have to end up replacing it earler. You have to weight cost vs. durability, if you don't mind changing them out more often, go cheap... if you want to fix it right the first time and it last longer, go VW OEM parts.

https://www.google.com/search?q=199...=1999+vw+new+beetle+window+regulator&tbm=shop

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
Billy, couple things:
1- what part of the regulator is prone to failure? from your provide it links, I see several repair kits, some being the motor itself. I suppose being that my motor still working, its an actual scissor arms that are on the regulator unit, correct?

2- I gather by the provided link, are Just an assortment of regulators, not necessarily OEM, correct?

I'm with you on your school of thought. buy oem, & be through with the frustration of constant replacement.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
14,080 Posts
Yes, the motor doesn't seem to fail; on most regulator swaps I have done (not just on vw; most any car I have done this on) and in the new beetle, the "repair kit" replaces what usually fails. The regulator clips were plastic in the original design; then they replaced the material with metal, that seemed to help but they will wear out, break. In general: most cars i have worked on, the cable comes off, cable wheels break, gears fail, etc.

At our shop; we have used really cheap Chinese aftermarket regulators and while affordable, caused come backs... because they didn't last. The Dorman units; while, seemed better then others... still were Asian offshore. Dorman, offers; a whole assembly (complete, just install and be done) but I do not think the quality is there, compared to the VW OEM parts. The price difference; may not be that much from VW anyway, Dorman has allot of great offerings (repair parts; only available from the dealer as a whole assembly) ... but for some reason, on many VW parts, sometimes they are more expensive, then the dealer... go figure (the regulators are cheaper, however).

Of the aftermarket door regulators out there; Dorman would probably be as good as others (not oem vw).

Dorman Window Regulator Quality

example:

Dorman Products - Search Results

Dorman Products - 749-531

Example on amazon; look at other brands in the same ad at the bottom:

Dorman 749-531 Volkswagen Beetle Front Driver Side Power Window Regulator : Amazon.com : Automotive

https://www.google.com/#q=/Dorman-749-531&tbm=shop

Bottom line: I would rather replace the broken parts with the repair kit from VW; then replace the whole thing with inferior aftermarket assembly. All of the window regulators are going to fail; its not a matter of "if" but "when", I would rather be replacing them later, then sooner! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! We would rather fix it once and be done! I would rather be driving than fixing things! Ordered some stuff last night should be here by the weekend and hope to figure out why the heated seats are not working!

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Could be a fuse, especially if both seats are not working. If just the drivers side, they could be burnt out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fuse was checked so now onto investigating other options! Both of the seats don't heat. Hubbs is going to look at the comfort control module this weekend unfortunately my window parts are not going to be here till Monday! Actually found a good deal on JC Whitney believe it or not..free shipping and 10% off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts