VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my fellow love bug lovers.
My gfs window is stuck down. Doesn't have the 500 to fix atm.
A garage got it to stay up without actually fixing it, but it fell down again. What's the trick with these?
Thanksamillion!

·
Registered
15,127 Posts
What year and model new beetle or beetle are you working with? The window regulators, are particularly failure prone; that is typically the problem. In that case, a genuine VW repair kit (typically around $75-$100; depending on where you source it); is the best solution, to fix the failed window regulator. The kit, just replaces, the parts that fail and not the whole assembly; which is just a big metal panel and some pulleys, for the cable system.

To get an idea, as to what is involved in this repair; there are many videos on youtube and check out this diy:

If things need to be put off until later; you can unplug the window motor, remove the window regulator and jam a piece of wood, to keep the window in the closed position, until you get a repair kit, to finish the repair.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
A small wood or plastic wedge will keep the window up. It may have just popped out of the lift arm. There are two clamps that actually hold the glass, over time especially up north here they loosen and allow the glass to fall out into the door.

I say up north here but let me qualify that statement somewhat. Keep in mind that they do fail in warmer southern climes also. However especially for smokers up north these windows are failure prone.

The first thing a smoker does when they get in a car is drop the window a couple of inches to all the way down. Well once freezing cold weather hits sometimes the glass will be frozen to the window track. The smoker climbs in, hits the down button and nothing happens. He shrugs it off and then on the way to work after the car warms up the glass will suddenly fall into the door. That makes for a very cold rest of your drive to your destination.

It happened to my brothers co-worker. My brother called and told me what happened, since it was a Jetta and he knows I work on vw’s. I asked if the co-worker was a smoker, “yup”. I explained what probably happened as that morning it was very cold.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts