VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to drive to work this morning and my windows aren't working. Tried to lock the doors upon arriving to work and the locks don't work either. The trunk and gas flap switches on the driver's side door still work; the passenger side window and lock switches don't work either.

I don't think it's a wire harness for this reason - I have a hard time seeing both wire harnesses in both doors going at once, especially since I got the wire harness in the driver's door done last year. I'm thinking initially fuse - maybe fuse 14? I think that's the locks, lights and windows (haven't noticed if the lights don't work yet). Barring that, is anybody here familiar with what issues it could be?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Updated information - I took fuse 14 out because I was certain, I was CERTAIN that I had a replacement fuse... but I didn't. Still, after I replaced the fuse I tried the windows - the driver's side switch worked for the driver's window, and the passenger side switch worked for the passenger window, but the driver's switch for the passenger window didn't work. But still - it's progress!:cool:

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Each door has its own controller that communicates with the central "comfort module" by way of a serial bus. The door locks, windows, power mirrors and trunk release all work over this bus. You probably had a problem with one of the modules that was affecting the communications. Removing the fuse and replacing it reset the modules and improved the situation. The weak link in all this is usually the wiring harness for the driver's door where it passes from the door frame to the door. The wires chaff inside the rubber boot and short out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts