NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
flyboy
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the post about electric window problems, I had real concerns about my 08 beetle that I bought with 27K miles on it.

It has been problem free for about 1500 miles, but yesterday my fears became justified, as my wife and I took the car out for a ride. My wife demanded the windows be up because we had the convertible top down. (I know this is sacrilage because why have a vert. with top down and windows up?) My belief anyway.

The windows stayed up during the time we were in and out of the car, doing shopping, (top still down).

A little while latter, we drive up to a bank with a drive up teller window, and then we tried to put the driver window down. It wouldnt budge, but it was down the 1/2" (normal clearance for the vert top.)

The single switch (drivers side)that does all windows will operate 3 windows up and down, but not the driver window. The passenger window can be operated on the passenger side. The driver window will not go up and down at all.

I didnt realize it at the time but latter as we tried to put the top up, we realized the the switch would not operate it. If you do the switch the yellow light flashes (caution light at the rear view mirror). No sign of any movement, no noise no nothing. The manual does say this is a top malfunction- take to the dealer.

Then I tried to operate the electric rear view mirrors, and I found them not to work. The switch for the trunk latch and gas door does work though.

I checked all the fuses (they are OK). I tried a window reset as described in the manual, as I inserted the key and turned to lock and held for a couple seconds, but nothing.

Looks like I am joining the crowd of window complainers. I am glad I have the extended warantee, though this could become a continued inconvenience.

For all of these functions to go tango-uniform at one time sure sounds like a compluter malfunction.

Anybodies thoughts ????

Going to the dealer this afternoon if I cant fix it.

Just to vent a little bit.........There is a lot of really bad engineering in these V-dubs for the manufacturer not to do anything about it. This is disgraceful. These problems are why so many people are buying Hundays (spell?), and Jap cars. These guys need to heed the warning !!

Kitfox Bill............Happy flying !!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
What I am beginning to realize about door electronics is not that they are poorly designed, but that 1) they are cheaply made and 2) they are fragile. We all want all these "trick" features which is why they exist.

I also, since joining the Org, and becoming more aware of door electronic issues with the NB, have become more aware of how others treat MY doors. Everyone seems to want to pull the door into the cabin when they get in a close it, and then slam it when they get out. I have had electonic part issues on the doors of many of my vehicles and attribute it to this ongoing abuse. A properly aligned, lubricated door, requires almost no effort to close. Common problems such as cracked door panels and broken pull handles, and broken soldier joints on the electronics are perfect evidence of what I am saying. And if you don't think ppl do this, pay close attention the next time someone, even your wife, enters or exits the car. Then, as a test, see just how little effort YOU can apply to have the door latch when YOU close it!

In your case, TG for extended b2b warranties. Please post up the resolve to your issue and be as specific as you can, as others may experience the same problem and not have the advantage of the b2b warranty you have.

MORAV

·
flyboy
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
windows not working

Your response brings up a question regarding possibly slamming doors to hard. I can see that reasoning.

Do you think that could cause the top not to work any more as well?

I could understand the electronics in the door, but having an effect with the top seems like a remote issue.

Kitfox Bill

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Your response brings up a question regarding possibly slamming doors to hard. I can see that reasoning.

Do you think that could cause the top not to work any more as well?

I could understand the electronics in the door, but having an effect with the top seems like a remote issue.

Kitfox Bill
While it does seem remote, the two are tied together electronically. Consider what happens when you hit the down switch on your top, the windows all drop. Don't they? I'm going to have a look at your OM and see if possibly you have missed something, especially regarding the reset. Also going to look in the Vert supplemental pages of my paper Bentley and see if there is anything.

Update: Well scratch the OM review, I have no Vert OMs beyond '05. All sedans. And nothing in the paper Bentley. Probably need to load my Bentley DVD-ROM repair manual. I know it is far more all inclusive than the paper Bentley, but have been putting it off, not sure which computer I want to load it on.

As to the top operating switch reset, and I'm pulling this from an older model OM: Lift and lower the windows once using the "all window" switch to reactivate the power convertible top switch. The doors must be closed. There is also a note in the electric window (switch) operation section regarding the need to reset the window switches in the advent of a power interruption. Check for something similar in this section of your manual.

M.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
you are very helpful...........I would like to put you in for a raise!!
Thank you for the expressed gratitude. Actually I am here, probably more to learn than to help. I learn things everyday. But it is hard not to post when I have an experience or knowledge to share that can be helpful to others. Something about the way I was raised and the way I am built.

Please do post up as to what you find out when you get this problem looked at professionally and hopefully resolved.

M.

·
flyboy
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
windows not working correctly

Got back from the dealer last night after waiting for about 1 1/2 hours. Seems the techs knew exactly what to do.

A simple replacement part corrects lots of individual problems that NB can have. The part is the controller module on the drivers side door. it is accessed by taking off the trim panel. The controller module is built into the mechanical gear driver for the window regulator. This makes it more costly unfortunately as they both have to be replaced. $300 for the part alone. There are some good "how to" pictures on this site about door work that shows this unit.

If this unit starts going bad it can put a vodoo curse on all of the related things it controls or just one thing singularly. Some of the things it controls are: vert top, one touch control, driver window, gas cap cover, trunk lid, electric windows, and door locks. On mine it effected all but the gas and trunk, and locks. It is tied into the computer, and it caused frenquent promblems that tons of people complain about. I am glad I didnt spend much time on it as there isnt anything you can do about it except replacement. They keep this part in stock all the time because it is a problemsome devil.

The techs said everyone would be wise to always keep an extended waranty on the NB as long as you own it. (Kinda tells you something.)

With all these problems, I am kinda surprised this detailed info has not been posted, but maybe it has and I havent found it.

Anyway, I am flying a little bit better now.

Kitfox Bill

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Thanks for the follow-up!

Thanks for the update. This is more commonly referred to as the door control module, and yes it is a common failure with these cars. I do read about it regularly on here, but unfortunately I seldom see anyone post up a resolve when they encounter problems similar to what you have. And then, when someone does, the thread gets lost.

Most on here have no way of purchasing an extended b2b warranty, but it is great advice to anyone considering the purchase of an NB. Many even play down any type of extended warranty as being mostly BS warranties. I have bought these type warranties, through dealers, when buying from same, and they have ALWAYS paid for themselves. I did so on a Jaguar XJS, bought with 26k miles, and the warranty company then spent $18k over the next 18k miles. When the warranty expired, so did ownership of the car.

Glad your back up and running, and out little in the process.

I still hold many of these failures are caused by the constant abuse of closing (slamming) the doors.

M.

·
flyboy
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tend to agree. The constant hammering away has got to be rough on these delicate electronics.

I have always been very anal about minimizing physical abuse on all my mechanical stuff. If you are a Murphy's law believer, and I am, everything is right on the edge of breaking anyway. Why push it !!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
:roflmao:

Ditto! Now if I could just get family members and employees to GAS!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts