VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i've noticed lately that when im driving in the evening or just when the weather is cold outside, that my windows just fog up like crazy! does anyone else have this problem? and when i try to defrost em they take insanely forever even when its on full blast! any suggestions?

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
turn your A/C on along with the defroster. In a winter care guide, VW suggests doing this and it works (I discovered this while trying to merge onto a highway in blinding rain - my windows fogged up and I couldn't see)

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
I find that it also helps to open a window just a crack. It gives the car a little more airflow.

·
Can you handle it??
1,673 Posts
You may also, check to see if the pollen/cabin filter needs to be replaced or has gotten wet by some chance.
I had a situation about 2 years ago where I had to have my hood repainted, due to a careless man with a flatbed truck. When the bodyshop was painting the hood, they removed the cowl piece that is up near the windshield wipers. Apparently they didn't put it back on correctly, OR it was loose or something.... Anyway, my pollen/cabin filter had gotten wet somehow, and it would cause my windows to fog up really bad. My car was under warranty at the time, so I marched it into the stealership.... and $75 later it was repaired. :mad:
I had to pay for it because the filters are not covered under warranty. Had I known that THIS was the problem, I would have handled it myself. :( The filters are pretty cheap, it's the labor that will get ya. :mad:

If you discover that this is the case for you, just buy the filter and change it out yourself. There is a "How To" on this board somewhere. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yup. Running the defroster can fog up the windows and create a real safety hazard. Turn on the AC to defog the windows. It usually works to keep the windows clear.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Yup. Running the defroster can fog up the windows and create a real safety hazard. Turn on the AC to defog the windows. It usually works to keep the windows clear.
x2! But read on!

In most cars, as someone stated the defrost is a function of the a/c, the a/c dehumidifies the air, hence "wet" air is not "dumped" onto the windshield. Using recirculate will help, not hinder, the process, as it is dehumidifying already dryer air.

The reason windows fog so quickly sometimes when you hit rain, is two fold, you are bringing in outside "wetter" air, and the rain is cooling the windshield faster than the outside air, many times also rapidly dropping the outside air temp.

I seldom use my heat feature alone, in any of my vehicles, opting for the a/c through all distribution vents as opposed to just the a/c vent, simply adjusting the temperature from cold to hot. This will help to keep your windows fog free (the dehydration thing, remember). It keeps you a/c compressor lubricated and functioning throught the winter. Oh, and I don't need someone to tell me about the fuel economy issue with this method, I understand, and it's negligible!

A wet pollen filter could be the cause, but very unlikely that yours would get wet.

MORAV

·
6 Is Better Than 5 ;)
1,055 Posts
so i've noticed lately that when im driving in the evening or just when the weather is cold outside, that my windows just fog up like crazy! does anyone else have this problem? and when i try to defrost em they take insanely forever even when its on full blast! any suggestions?
Quit breathing so hard/fast.
It's exciting to drive a beetle, yes, but pace your breathing :D

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Too much subtle wit for this early in the morning! How come you not out shoveling snow? Or has that been an all night project?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts