NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
99 2.0 GLS
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

This morning, I woke up to 13F temperature here in Detroit. While driving to the family dinner, I noticed that my windshield spray was not working. My initial thoughts were that something is frozen. However, I am concerned as there is no wiper motor sound.

SYMPTOMS:
- No washer spray
- No washer motor sound
- Wipers do work

While searching the forums, this was the closest I could find regarding washer nozzles, and issues.

Anyone have any suggestions, or thoughts? Your insight is most appreciated!

Respectfully,
tribangle

·
99 2.0 GLS
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
GOOD NEWS!
Today, the sun was out the weather was above freezing, so I moved MYPOD into the sun. While moving, I tried the windshield washer lever, and with great surprise the motor sprang to life. However, the nozzles did not spray. Thus, I let the car run with the defroster on for about 15 minutes. Low and behold, the fluid now sprays out of the nozzles!

LESSON LEARNED:
- A good pre-winter task is to fill the washer reservoir with a de-icer brand of washer solvent.

NEW QUESTION:
- Does anyone have any windshield washer pump/reservoir diagrams that could help this thread for future users?

·
Super Moderator
5,363 Posts
Here ya go.

3 is the reservoir :p
10 is the pump
21 is the spray jet

Attachments

·
Save a horse, ride a....
222 Posts
That thing looks way too complicated for what it is.

I supposedly have heated washer nozzles on my car, but I don't think it actually heats the washer fluid - more likely it keeps the nozzles from freezing. The heat apparently comes on automatically based on the outside temp.

·
Super Moderator
5,363 Posts
90% of that is all the parts that make up the hose going from teh resevoir to the nozzles.

The heated nozzles only keep the nozzle from freezing, they don't heat the washer fluid. I believe that they come on when the defroster is on.

·
Super Moderator
5,363 Posts
kcfoxie said:
"German car" = "Way too complicated for what it is, but I like it!" :D
Isn't that the truth :p :lol:

·
99 2.0 GLS
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
squeebug:

Thank you so much for the diagram! That certainly puts things into a little better perspective. :D Members like you make this place even more valuable!

You mention heated nozzles... does this mean that your beetle has the cold winter package?

Anyone know if you could purchase heated nozzles, and plug them into a vehicle that does not have the cold package? From what it sounds like there is an extra wire for the heater function. Just wondering if the standard setup has the extra connection required.

·
Super Moderator
5,363 Posts
My beetle has the cold weather package with the heated seats and washer nozzles. I would think you could just purchase the nozzles, and then hook them up to a switch as I believe that they are 12v. Only thing would be to remember to turn them back off so that they don't burn out. Let me find the part number for the heated nozzles real quick...ok here it is...

6E0 955 986

$25 from 1stvwparts.com

·
Super Moderator
5,363 Posts
I think they turn on when the defroster is on. Not 100% positive.

Reactions: RedRockinCT

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
tribangle said:
I woke up to 13F temperature here in Detroit. While driving to the family dinner, I noticed that my windshield spray was not working. My initial thoughts were that something is frozen. However, I am concerned as there is no wiper motor sound.

SYMPTOMS:
- No washer spray
- No washer motor sound
- Wipers do work
i woke up to 18 degree weather here in iowa and now have the exact same problem with the exact same symptoms. i will have to try the solution you mentioned. :D

·
99 2.0 GLS
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
callisto9:

BRRRRRRRR!

How full (or empty... depending on your outlook) is your windshield washer reservoir tank? You may be able to dump in some of the de-icer brand of washer fluid. Combined with letting your car idle, and the defroster on you may be able to loosen up the frozen mess.

Good luck and stay warm!

Please keep us posted.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
tribangle said:
How full (or empty... depending on your outlook) is your windshield washer reservoir tank? You may be able to dump in some of the de-icer brand of washer fluid. Combined with letting your car idle, and the defroster on you may be able to loosen up the frozen mess.
i haven't checked the tank yet, as i was too cold to want to look into it! i will be checking it when i get off work this evening. i drove the car about 10 mins to work this morning and had the rear defrost on for about 4 mins. and the front defrost on for about 8 mins, and it wasn't until i got to work and though "i need to wipe some of the that frost residue off my front windshield" that i noticed i had to windshield wiper fluid.

when i pulled the lever for the fluid, i did not hear the motor at all. seemed like it was dead.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
tribangle said:
callisto9:

Any news?
it looks like i am out of fluid. i'll have to go to walgreens this evening and get some. nothing was coming out today, but i coudln't tell if the motor was working or not.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
well, i went and bought some fluid today - some of the winterized stuff. i thought i was out entirely, but i was pouring the stuff in, it was soon overflowing, so where was already a fair amount of windshield wiper fluid in there. it's hard to see when it's dark though.

so, no fluid is coming out. i don't hear the windshield wiper motor, either. so i don't know if it's dead or frozen, but this started happening when we got this cold spell this week. does anyone have any other suggestions?

this combined with my hood not opening most of the time and my gas tank clicking off all the time is making for a frustrating winter. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
5,363 Posts
Have you been using the concentrated washer fluid where you add the water? If so you might be putting to much water in. Washer fluid should be good to -20* so it might be the pump.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts