VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
←Blue or Purple?
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, My windshield wiper motor was no longer working. So I have gone through the trouble of replacing it. I have a 2010 NB 2.5. (I don't think that matters as I think they are all the same when it comes to wipers)

This of course required taking off the rain cowl and completely removing the wiper linkages to replace the motor and reassembling.

The problem: Now that I have reassembled everything the wipers move up and crash into the plastic rain cowl which did not happen before.

I figured observing the wipers with the wiper arms off help. Then when in delay turn the wipers off and put the arms on from there, but they seem to go up even farther and still hit the cowl.

I've tried making adjustments 2-3 times and ended up with the same results.

There has to be some technique here I'm missing.

Anybody that has disassembled and reassembled wiper arms have any tips?
Is there a way to reset the motor to assign a park position?

Thanks,

Craig Robertson (aka XCman)

·
←Blue or Purple?
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
New development:

Okay did some more fiddling trying to fix this. Well my wiper motor developed Herculean strength and snapped the driver side wiper arm in 2 pieces! lol

In my defeat I found this video which helped me find the errors in my ways!

I provided timing links to my mistakes.

1. I did not reset the motor before installing it to make sure it was in rest position.
https://youtu.be/HxHhnCe4r4Q?t=3m51s

2. Align the bracket that attachs to the motor to the arm so that they are pointing to 8:00. This synchronizes the linkage assembly with the motors rest position.
https://youtu.be/HxHhnCe4r4Q?t=4m37s

Now aside from needing to fix my driver side wiper arm. I hope this video will help others from making my same mistakes!

I'll return with another post when I get things finished. and any other revelations along the way.

In the meantime I would appreciate any advice!

·
←Blue or Purple?
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Success!

Those 2 steps I outlined before that I missed in the above video solved everything!

Now just waiting on my Driver side wiper arm replacement and I'll be good!

Always nice to get replacement parts with no instructions :p bah!

Hope this post solves some people some headaches. and a $60 wiper arm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts