NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sun Goddess
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had the spring loaded mounting pins on the windstop break? Both of mine are broken and the dealer does not supply these. Two dealers told me I had to buy a new windstop :mad: . I am devising apossible solution to this poor design. From what I can tell, the pin is too weak where the handle screws to it and the spring is too strong. I plan on reinforcing the pin and getting a weaker spring. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
14,766 Posts
I see a potential problem, every time we install this thing. Hasn't broken, yet. For the most part, it stays installed.

Post in the classifieds, there are some members who may have one to get rid of. And, good luck to you!

·
Registered
18 Posts
i noticed i had a problem with mine.

i didn't realize the round knob was screwed into the pin. over time that has unscrewed to the point the little cross pin fell out. which meant not being able to retract and twist-lock into place.

after cleaning i found the pin in the back seat. and with an allen wrench i was able to screw the knob back down to the cross pin.

i checked the other one, sure enough it was loose too.

that's a poor design. :mad:

·
Sun Goddess
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am devising a different solution to this after my first attempt failed. Strengthening the pin where the handle attaches is not an option. The plastic is too weak and thin to get a #6 sheet metal screw to bite into the metal rod inside the pin. Hence the handle was never tight. I have weakened the spring by cutting 7/8" off one side. That alone did wonders to make my potential fix easier. The pin can be pushed and locked with one hand and still has enough tension to keep the pin in the body when engaged.

That said, I still have two broken pins. But another possible solution is in the works. I have re-glued the ends back to the pins and sent to an artist foundry for aluminum casting. I intend on using fine machine screws and lock washers to keep the handles attached. I will also have the molds and may look into getting a run of these created if it works.

·
Get in.Buckle Up.Hang on.
6,525 Posts
Hmmmm, I'll have to take a close look at mine tonite, it's gotten a lot of usage. I did notice last week that the fabric insert was starting to come out of the frame on the bottom, any ideas on a fix?

·
Sun Goddess
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which part of the windscreen? The mesh that goes behind your head or over the back seats? The mesh over the seats uses the tension of the rubber seal to hold it in place. Looks like you could pull the mesh tight and push the rubber seal back in place. Same goes fot the mesh behind the headrest, but I would open the screen up to get the tension tight enough.

Waiting for a quote from the casting guy on the pins...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you get anywhere with this, BeetleBabe? Mine just broke tonight! How frustrating! If you have any ideas, I would appreciate it!:mad:

·
Best 2B Topless!!
285 Posts
One of mine broke, too - URGH!!! I can still use it, but very nervous that the other side will break!! Why can't they make pins to replace the broken ones?? That doesn't make sense!!:confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts