VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2003 beetle with 205/55/R16 and have the chance to get 4 mounted winters that on steel rims. The rims are 5-100mm off a chev. My question is will any 5-100mm bolt pattern rim fit my beetle or does it have to a VW rim?

Any help would be appreciated!

g.c.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
The Bolt pattern might be okay but the offset will not be.
Do you know what the offset of the chevy wheels you are thinking about getting is?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2003 beetle with 205/55/R16 and have the chance to get 4 mounted winters that on steel rims. The rims are 5-100mm off a chev. My question is will any 5-100mm bolt pattern rim fit my beetle or does it have to a VW rim?

Any help would be appreciated!

g.c.
Are those wheels from an old Cavalier or Beretta? Not sure but the Center Bore of 57.1 may not match up with the VW bolt pattern. You could always give it a try and see if they fit.
Actually, I checked the center bore for the VW Wheels which are also 57.1mm same as the Chevy Cavalier or old Corsicas and Berettas. The offset should also be within specs. So I say
you should be okay.

·
Registered
867 Posts
if the center is big enough ant the offset is close enough the only other problem might be the bolt holes.

Most cars with lugnuts use a 12mm stud and vw uses a 14mm bolt. So you might have to get a machine shop to enlarge the holes.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Enlarging the holes is never a good idea. No matter how good the shop drills those holes those wheels will wooble like a Fred Flinstone car on the road. I would stay away and get the proper type of wheel with the proper holes. A lot of 5X100 wheels around from VW Beetle's and Audi TT's

·
5/23/10 <3
11,209 Posts
Lots of 5x100 wheels from other VWs too. All mk4's have a 5x100 bolt pattern.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mark 4 Winter Rims

1999 NB Steelies 1.jpg

New Beetle Steelies 2.jpg

New Beetle Steelies 3.jpg

I run these 205/65R15C commercial snow and ice tires on 15" (ET 53) heavy transporter wheels. The ET53 works with H & R wheel adaptors to position the wheels at the proper offset and correct for the larger lug bolt spacing. Wheel covers are from a Rialta.

Yes the bug is lifted. The suspension consists of a derated Hot Bits gravel rally setup with Metal Nerd 2" rear shock extensions to place the rear dampers in the proper stroke location.

I am also running a Diesel Geek Full Metal Jacket.

With this setup the speedo is still correct. :jumpy:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mark 4 Winter Rims

View attachment 100996

View attachment 100997

View attachment 100998

I run these 205/65R15C commercial snow and ice tires on 15" (ET 53) heavy transporter wheels. The ET53 works with H & R wheel adaptors to position the wheels at the proper offset and correct for the larger lug bolt spacing. Wheel covers are from a Rialta.

Yes the bug is lifted. The suspension consists of a derated Hot Bits gravel rally setup with Metal Nerd 2" rear shock extensions to place the rear dampers in the proper stroke location.

I am also running a Diesel Geek Full Metal Jacket.

With this setup the speedo is still correct. :jumpy:
Everyone thinks i am crazy because i too want to lift my beetle up. i have an 07 hb sitting on stock 16/17"s with the 2.5l engine. I want to drop back down to 15"s and add some rubber! i sit very low right now and i hate MI winters (i am smacking bottom on snow). can you tell me roughly what cost was involved?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts