NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I am looking for a decent winter tire for my 02 tdi beetle, the current all season tire in Michigan winter, not the greatest. Currently the size is 205/55/r16.Could I go to a taller tire for more clearance to save my plastic belly pan from ice chunks and road kill. thanks

·
My other VW is a VW
141 Posts
I would stick with the 205/55R16. I put 225/45R17 on my factory (winter) wheels and it handles the snow like a bitch! Just switching to winters makes all the difference in the world!

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
When I was looking for a winter/snow tire I bought a set of General Altimax Arctic tires, size: 205/60 16. I have zero problems with the taller side wall, even though I'm lowered on coilovers. An added bonus is they are so much smoother riding than my spring/summer wheel & tire set. Great tire for the snow.
General Altimax Arctic Tire Reviews (76 Reviews)

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
I have 225/45/17 tires on mine and haven't had any issues. I use all seasons because I rarely drive on mountain roads during the winter and we only have a few days of very icy roads every winter. As for your oil pan, that plastic piece will do very little to protect it from anything like a hard chunk of ice. An aluminum or stainless steel plate will keep your oil pan safe.

DieselGeek.com
Evolutionimport.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts