NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
My daughter has a 2012 Beetle Turbo, manual transmission. A nice little car.
That said, the stock OEM tires are horrible in the winter/snow here in Massachusetts. I think the OEM size is 235/45R18 but I'll have to check.

I was wondering what you guys would recommend. One problem with the wheels I've seen is 18 and 19" are much more expensive than 16". We put Blizaks on my wife's 2014 JSW TDI and the winter performance is amazing.(mounted on 16" nice rims)

So, is there any smaller wheel that would fit the Turbo, and not look horrible? Any size recommendations? I'm assuming we need to get a combination to keep the circumference very close to OEM. I may look into plain cheap steel wheels.

Or, would you recommend just get newer all season tires? Maybe the problem is they come with a summer performance tire and a more normal tire would be fine. I don't know. I'll have to check that she has but they are original OEM I think.

Thanks for your help.
Regards
Pete R

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm from Massachusetts myself. Get a set of Nokian Hakkapelittas, mount 'em on cheap steel rims. If you have fancy alloy rims, save those for non-snow season. Road salt will eat the finish on fancy alloy rims.

"Winter" tires aren't just about snow traction. Winter tires are made from a different rubber compound to summer-only tires. Rubber tends to lose its pliability when the temperatures drop. The different rubber compound in winter tires helps them keep their pliability and thus their "stickiness" on dry pavement. (The downside is that winter tires wear really rapidly in warmer weather.) By contrast, summer-only tires practically turn into hard plastic below about 40°F, resulting in sharply reduced traction on dry pavement in the cold.

All-seasons are an attempt at a compromise. You might do well with them where the winter is mild, snowfall is limited to 1-2" at a go, and 25°F is considered a really cold day. But for New England, get separate winter tires.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts