NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a 1998 NB at the Memphis VW show an attachment at the rear of the hood. Not sure what it is called - cowl, wind deflector, or wiper hider. Its function was to hide or conceal the wiper arm/blades. The owner said he got it from Mid-America in the late 90's. Does anyone know if they are being sold by other dealers. Mid America doen't list it now. Sorry I didn't have my camera with me.

·
Super Moderator
5,363 Posts
I believe that TVA still has them. Try emailing them. TVA Aiwana

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Another way to hide wipers...

In order to eliminate wiper lift from air flow and to better integrate the wipers into the cowling and at the same time improve wiper action, I did the following. I purchased the wiper arms and the Euro style airo blades as seen on Tourages, Passats, ect. The arms from the Passat, model 2003 fit on the NB perfectly. When installing the wiper blades themselves, use the drivers side blade on the passenger side arm and use the passenger side on the drivers side arm. This allows the two blades to meet exactly together with a 20 mm or so gap. The center mounting point for the drivers side blade is off by 1/2 " and by using it on the passenger side, it allows for perfect resting position and perfect wiping action. The arms can be mounted once the blades are attached so they rest at the very bottom of the windshield, right on top of the plastic cowling. This was not an expensive retro fit as the Areo style blades have
come down in price a lot. The wiper arms are very reasonable to. When sitting in car, the wiper appear to be almost invisable. The same is true for looking from the outside in. These style blades wipe better in all weather conditions, esp. good in snow and ice, and they do not float or even need the air spoiler that is stock on the NB's driver side wiper arm.
You will realy like the look and the acton that these arms and blades provide...Check it out... JK

·
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Slugbug123, that is it. But I wasn't expecting to cost that much. I will have to think about it a little longer. Thanks for the lead.

·
2008 "Fowvay" yellow NB
574 Posts
I got my Prodesign Speedster cowl from autotrucktoys.com and it was only like $85 or so. I don't see it on the site any more, it was part of a kit that they would sell separately if asked. Maybe try to contact them directly and ask. I'd be interested in their reply as I am asked about mine frequently.

Good luck.

(I wouldn't pay $195 for one.)

·
Registered
98 Posts
yeah it is pretty expensive, i wanted that hood but it is 800 i think. looks pretty good though. well the whole kit does actually...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts