NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel as thou I have a loose ground...burnt another new fuse block up today. That is three in the last two weeks. Can someone tell me where the engine grounds are. I have 2002 2.0 and she is parked again.....needing help desperately, need to be running again by Monday!!! Many Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
If you can bear with me, I'll find the information and post it up. Give me 20 min or so. In the middle of something else.

MORAV

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I have attached the "Ground Locations" page and the "Main Fuse Box" page in printable .pdf's below.

I know that you have replaced the fuse box (several times) but do you know what you are doing when it comes to tracking down electrical problems with a meter? Do you own, or have access to a multimeter? I can help if you'd like.

MORAV

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Chasing electrical problems/failures can be one of the toughest things you'll do working on your car. Have you seen a CEL or MIL light on, on your dash in the time you have been having these problems? Is the car driveable? What doesn't work at this point?

I've got to take the dog out. No ****, but when I get back, I'll get into this with you. You say you have a multimeter. You'll need batteries in it so you can use the ohm function. Here is a decent read on how to use it. Initially you'll be checking for continuity of circuits to ground to determine if there is a short.
How to Use a Multimeter - wikiHow

Be back in about ten minutes.

M.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Okay, let's communicate here.

So you've told me "Added new a/c compressor two weeks ago and all my trouble started. Now new battery, and two fuse blocks later I am here today.....but hey the A/C is cold. No lights on the dash."

What is not working presently?

Is the car driveable?

You changed the compressor, so you had the serpentine belt off which also drives the alternator. Any chance any wiring was nicked or chaffed when the a/c
compressor was changed?

What happened that you needed to change the compressor. Compressor failure or clutch failure?

Did the clutch seize and destroy the serpentine belt?

Was there any other work done to the a/c system, such as work on the coolant fans?

I need you to give me as much information as you can regarding what immediately lead up to that and what was done.

The fuse box was disturbed when you changed the battery.
Did the battery change preceed or follow the first fuse box melt down?

Did you do the work or did someone else?

You can just quote my post and go into the quote itself to answer. But you will have to post something outside the quote in order to "submit the reply"

M.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Answers below, many thanks for your time and help!!!

Okay, let's communicate here.

So you've told me "Added new a/c compressor two weeks ago and all my trouble started. Now new battery, and two fuse blocks later I am here today.....but hey the A/C is cold. No lights on the dash."

What is not working presently? everything is working, just a serverely melted fuse block, smoking and to hot to touch!!

Is the car driveable? yes, but i wish not

You changed the compressor, so you had the serpentine belt off which also drives the alternator. Any chance any wiring was nicked or chaffed when the a/c
compressor was changed? not sure always a possiblilty

What happened that you needed to change the compressor. Compressor failure or clutch failure? both clutch failure and diaphram in compressor

Did the clutch seize and destroy the serpentine belt? belt ok

Was there any other work done to the a/c system, such as work on the coolant fans? no coolant fan work, replaced compressor and condensor

I need you to give me as much information as you can regarding what immediately lead up to that and what was done.

Did the battery change preceed or follow the first fuse box melt down? the first block melted after a/c change, then next block melted and battery drained with dead cell, installed new battery and today new block melted worse than the others.

Did you do the work or did someone else? a/c work done by my regular mechincic, fuse block and battery myself.

You can just quote my post and go into the quote itself to answer. But you will have to post something outside the quote in order to "submit the reply"

M.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
What is not working presently? everything is working, just a serverely melted fuse block, smoking and to hot to touch!! This seems to be such a common problem with the NB and other VW brands that use this stupid fuse block. I read all the time about these failing, but have never read of the cause. Typically they get changed and problem solved! Obviously not so here.

Is the car driveable? yes, but i wish not Is an autoparts close enough that has a fault code reader? It may be necessary, but you need to check and see if they have a reader that can pull stored codes, not just CEL or MIL codes that are active before making the journey. Be sure to let them know it is a VW NB, but we aren't there yet.

You changed the compressor, so you had the serpentine belt off which also drives the alternator. Any chance any wiring was nicked or chaffed when the a/c compressor was changed? not sure always a possiblilty It's the condessor R&R of more concern.

What happened that you needed to change the compressor. Compressor failure or clutch failure? both clutch failure and diaphram in compressor Should not have been a cause.

Was there any other work done to the a/c system, such as work on the coolant fans? no coolant fan work, replaced compressor and condensor Condensor, ahh, have to look and see what all is involved according to the Bentley, but I'm sure there is a lot of wiring that could have been disturbed, pinched, cut etc. Almost certain this procedure would have involved R&R of everyhting in the battery area.

Did the battery change preceed or follow the first fuse box melt down? the first block melted after a/c change, then next block melted and battery drained with dead cell, installed new battery and today new block melted worse than the others. Well???

Did you do the work or did someone else? a/c work done by my regular mechincic, fuse block and battery myself. If this started immediately after the a/c work, you probably should have taken it back immediately, and you may still have to. I'm going to bet donuts to dollars that the two are related. Just for background is this a business or a friend helping out.

Now for diagnostics...

Was everything that was damaged at the first melt down, at least in the proximity of the fuse box replaced? Damaged wiring in close proximity, etc. There could be missing insulation creating a short, or wiring that is damaged to the point that it is no longer capable of carrying the designed load, like broken off strands that are no longer in a new connector. You should be able to do a visual on this.

Look at the fusible links. These are the high amp "fuses", the five on the left side, looking at the diagram I put up. Look at each individually, these work by the middle section melting in half. Look at the wiring to each. Is the insulation on the wiring serving these more melted on one than the others?

Did you replace all of these with new both times you changed the fuse box?
How about the three standard fuses?
There is one of each for the coolant fans and the wiring for those would be the first suspect since, without a doubt, these were disturbed, and the respective wiring is in close proximity to the condensor.

In the morning, can you get good, close-up pics of both sides of the fuse block and email them to me? jpegs are preferred. I'll send my real world Forum email address to your real world email so you can simply save it.

Probably enough for tonight. If you don't see me on here in the morning, my text number is at the bottom of my emails in the signature, just text me, that your on.

Please address all of the questions that are in bold red. Each is important.

M.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fuse block issues

Answers Below

Now for diagnostics...

Was everything that was damaged at the first melt down, at least in the proximity of the fuse box replaced? Damaged wiring in close proximity, etc. There could be missing insulation creating a short, or wiring that is damaged to the point that it is no longer capable of carrying the designed load, like broken off strands that are no longer in a new connector. You should be able to do a visual on this. I replaced only fuse block, no wiring, all wiring looks good expect for the black wire on the left.

Look at the fusible links. These are the high amp "fuses", the five on the left side, looking at the diagram I put up. Look at each individually, these work by the middle section melting in half. Look at the wiring to each. Is the insulation on the wiring serving these melted on one than the others?

Did you replace all of these with new both times you changed the fuse box?[/ yes replaced all fuses in block both times.
How about the three standard fuses?
There is one of each for the coolant fans and the wiring for those would be the first suspect since, without a doubt, these were disturbed, and the respective wiring is in close proximity to the condensor.even these look fine, but I will tell you the key switch turned on and a/c turned on the fans will not work with the engine running. They did before compressor chnage

In the morning, can you get good, close-up pics of both sides of the fuse block and email them to me? jpegs are preferred. I'll send my real world Forum email address to your real world email so you can simply save it.Isent pics to your email earlier

Probably enough for tonight. If you don't see me on here in the morning, my text number is at the bottom of my emails in the signature, just text me, that your on.

Please address all of the questions that are in bold red. Each is important.

M.[/QUOTE]

I think I have answered all your questions you requested. I have another one, what will happen if the alternator does not have a ground wire, only has wire from fuse block and the plug for the key switch. I can see the ground conection but no wire???

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Right off, the fans not working would be a concern, not the not running part, although that is another issue. But the possiblity that these wires are severed and shorted out. Going to have a look at your pics. Going to have a look at the Bentley in re to the alternator.

After looking at your pic (and I'll post it here for others),

First thought is an alternator problem, possibly the voltage regulator. But I have to ask, has the 90A. alternator been replaced with a 120A one? The size fuse would have to be increased and possibly the feed wire to the fuse block.

Going to put up another thread, and see what responses we get. It's here -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/52338-morav-needs-some-help-helping-someone-else-org-battery-fuse-box-issue.html#post755698

M.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The fans will work while as long as the car is running but when you do a simple test of key turned on and a/c switched on the fan will not work. They did before the a/c compressor change. Also the current Alternator is a 90amp and I think it is the orinally alternator. Also if the car had no a/c for over a year and the a/c was added could that have put a strain on the alternator.

What would happen if I ran a new shorter wire from fuse block to alternator, straight there by passing feeding it though its orginal path?

Thanks for all your help and advice!!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The fans will work while as long as the car is running but when you do a simple test of key turned on and a/c switched on the fan will not work. They did before the a/c compressor change. Also the current Alternator is a 90amp and I think it is the orinally alternator. Also if the car had no a/c for over a year and the a/c was added could that have put a strain on the alternator.

What would happen if I ran a new shorter wire from fuse block to alternator, straight there by passing feeding it though its orginal path?

Thanks for all your help and advice!!
Does the fan come on with the switch turned to Pos 4? That should turn it on.

Adding a/c? You mean getting it back up and running, I think. Not unless the alternator is already bad.

New thread started here, for some quick additional help (I hope) help!
http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/52338-morav-needs-some-help-helping-someone-else-org-battery-fuse-box-issue.html

Going to revise my notes there to indicate the fans DO work.

But then, and I'm sorry, I have to get back to work. Let's see what the new thread garners in responses. Probably not until this evening when the regulars come on. Talk later.

M.

·
Registered
1 Posts
110A vs 150A fusible link on Altrnator

I have attached the "Ground Locations" page and the "Main Fuse Box" page in printable .pdf's below.
MORAV
Hi Morav, i have a question. The "Fuses & Relays" pdf is showing for 90 amp alternator to use a 110A fusible link. I called VW and i was told that the Fuse Panel Box for 90 amp that they use has 150A. I was wondering if my melt down was caused by the 110A fusible link overheating. . . . What do you think?

Thank you,

-Jay

1 - 16 of 16 Posts