VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have an issue with my 98 2.0 auto. While driving my hazards will flash and door locks will cycle up and down several times. I also believe this is affecting the tcm module because it will down shift to 3rd gear at highway speed. It's throwing a two codes one for open circuit in the tcm and also for the maf. Any suggestions would be great. I plan to chase down all grounds and make sure they are good, but if anyone else has had this issue please chime in. Bug has 156,000 miles and I just got it last week used so I have no history on the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
P0740 and p0722 mass airflow sensor and output speed sensor no signal, also said clutch converter solinoid open circut.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You dont think its a wiring issue with the hazard lights flashing randomly and the door locks cycling locked and unlocked several times in a row?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I looked at the wiring diagram for the 1998 2.0 Beetle, but didn't see a common ground point where the door, transmission, and hazard lights are connected. Assuming I read the diagrams correctly, the hazard lights and drivers door wiring are indirectly connected to ground #42, which is to the left of the pedal cluster under the steering wheel. The transmission ground seems to be tied to ground #607, which is in the plenum under the instrument panel cover. Hope this will help you out & good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks...I will be going in this weekend...lol. I found some diagrams for all the grounds and for all I have to do to chase them down I will be checking all grounds.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
maf issue

Hey guys I have an issue with my 98 2.0 auto. While driving my hazards will flash and door locks will cycle up and down several times. I also believe this is affecting the tcm module because it will down shift to 3rd gear at highway speed. It's throwing a two codes one for open circuit in the tcm and also for the maf. Any suggestions would be great. I plan to chase down all grounds and make sure they are good, but if anyone else has had this issue please chime in. Bug has 156,000 miles and I just got it last week used so I have no history on the car.
for the maf issue it could be that the throttle body valve has never been cleaned since day one and needs it real bad. The grounding I believe there are three that I know of, one under the battery tray, one behind the left headlight and one mounted to the motor chassis some where which I have yet to see a picture of.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts